Driving mechanism "eats" material

Post Reply
satoer
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:00 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Driving mechanism "eats" material

Post by satoer »

185 degrees is a bit on the low side... I use 200 to 210 degrees for PLA
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

maoz
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 am
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Post by maoz »

No its fully clean. I disassemdled it and clean with metal string before printing.

maoz
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 am
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Post by maoz »

satoer wrote:185 degrees is a bit on the low side... I use 200 to 210 degrees for PLA
same was on 200

Trnquill
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:01 am

Post by Trnquill »

Happened to me just a month ago (and still does when using old slicer profiles). Reason: retraction settings. Lowering the retraction distance to half (around 0.8 millimeters) solved the issue.

My problem was really similar. The printer would print quite happily as usual but then all of a sudden just stop. The hot end was clogged and jammed and the feeder rotated eating away the now stationary filament. If I managed to pull out the filament I could see the very end of the string had a "blob". In other words the end of the filament had larger diameter for length of about 5 millimeters or so. Obviously this blob could jam really really hard when pulling the filament out. If this happened I had to dismantle the whole hot end and even then had sometimes problems getting the filament out! So, obviously this blob together with too long retraction distance caused extruder to jam.

My advice is to try shorter retraction. This can of course lead to other problems like bridging and messy prints but what can you do... The hot end design seems faulty because there's room for this blob to form inside some part of the hot end. I wonder if it's fixed in v2..? There's no specs on the v2 hot end anywhere, even the picture in web shop shows v1!

maoz
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 am
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Post by maoz »

Trnquill wrote:Happened to me just a month ago (and still does when using old slicer profiles). Reason: retraction settings. Lowering the retraction distance to half (around 0.8 millimeters) solved the issue.

My problem was really similar. The printer would print quite happily as usual but then all of a sudden just stop. The hot end was clogged and jammed and the feeder rotated eating away the now stationary filament. If I managed to pull out the filament I could see the very end of the string had a "blob". In other words the end of the filament had larger diameter for length of about 5 millimeters or so. Obviously this blob could jam really really hard when pulling the filament out. If this happened I had to dismantle the whole hot end and even then had sometimes problems getting the filament out! So, obviously this blob together with too long retraction distance caused extruder to jam.

My advice is to try shorter retraction. This can of course lead to other problems like bridging and messy prints but what can you do... The hot end design seems faulty because there's room for this blob to form inside some part of the hot end. I wonder if it's fixed in v2..? There's no specs on the v2 hot end anywhere, even the picture in web shop shows v1!
Will try but i wonder why the file with old settings are print good before and now they are not?

maoz
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 am
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Post by maoz »

maoz wrote:
Trnquill wrote:Happened to me just a month ago (and still does when using old slicer profiles). Reason: retraction settings. Lowering the retraction distance to half (around 0.8 millimeters) solved the issue.

My problem was really similar. The printer would print quite happily as usual but then all of a sudden just stop. The hot end was clogged and jammed and the feeder rotated eating away the now stationary filament. If I managed to pull out the filament I could see the very end of the string had a "blob". In other words the end of the filament had larger diameter for length of about 5 millimeters or so. Obviously this blob could jam really really hard when pulling the filament out. If this happened I had to dismantle the whole hot end and even then had sometimes problems getting the filament out! So, obviously this blob together with too long retraction distance caused extruder to jam.

My advice is to try shorter retraction. This can of course lead to other problems like bridging and messy prints but what can you do... The hot end design seems faulty because there's room for this blob to form inside some part of the hot end. I wonder if it's fixed in v2..? There's no specs on the v2 hot end anywhere, even the picture in web shop shows v1!
Will try but i wonder why the file with old settings are print good before and now they are not?
Just try it - doesn't work.

satoer
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:00 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by satoer »

If the extruder eats away the fillament and you can't push it in by hand, there's something blocking the fillament in the nozzle. Can you sharpen the tip of the fillament (into a point) and then try to push it through?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

killejano
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Post by killejano »

I had some filament jams just a whike back. The extruder arm bent and the filament slipped of the bearing and started to bind becally everywhere. I grinded about 2nn of the ext. arm to move the bearing a bit and no trouble with that anymore.

maoz
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 am
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Post by maoz »

satoer wrote:If the extruder eats away the fillament and you can't push it in by hand, there's something blocking the fillament in the nozzle. Can you sharpen the tip of the fillament (into a point) and then try to push it through?
Yes of course after i cut the fillament it goes throught well, but i can't sit and watch all time. The problem is that the fillament is melting before melting chamber of the Hot End. I'll try to paint it.
yes and i tight hot end together very well
Attachments
draw.jpg
Last edited by maoz on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maoz
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 am
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Post by maoz »

killejano wrote:I had some filament jams just a whike back. The extruder arm bent and the filament slipped of the bearing and started to bind becally everywhere. I grinded about 2nn of the ext. arm to move the bearing a bit and no trouble with that anymore.
I don't see any damdge on hardware. It works and look well except fillament blocking.

Post Reply

Return to “Troubleshooting”