Felix 3.0 Dual - Slizer setting shown in manual not availabl

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
frankjoke

Felix 3.0 Dual - Slizer setting shown in manual not availabl

Post by frankjoke »

I have a 3.0 Dual and wanted to use first time dual priniting slizing with Slic3r.

The manual (FELIX 3.0 DUAL extrusion finetuning manual) shows a picture
and says:
Make sure Slic3r is active.
Then choose your print-settings. High quality, normal quality etc.
Choose what printer type you are using. A single or dual extruder.
Then choose what filament you are using. PLA, PVA etc.
Then press the Slice with Slic3r button to generate gcode.

In my original Felix (new installed) RH for FeliPrinters V0.90C I see no print settings and cannot select printer as well!

On Download I can find Kisslicer and sfact profiles but nothing about Slic3r!

Please help to setup Slic3r because Kisslicer does not allow me to load different models for different colors!

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

In the meantime my frustration grew because I bought a dual extruder printer and did not get software or instructions how to use both extruders.

I could only print the models which are provided as gcode and use sfact for single extruder work.

I tried to use Kisslicer to print support with second extruder and realized you need a licensed version to do that!

Dual extruder example shown in draft do not work on Kisslicer because you need a license to use dual extruder feature!
It does not work on Slic3r because I have no setup for my felix printer and don't know how to fill the many details which Slic3r ask for! I bought a ready made printer and expect that the settings are coming with it.

I don't know, but maybe the development team @ Felix is just using their well developed special setups to test and write manuals but did not check how a user with a fresh setup can really handle the tasks.

p.s.: It would be good to have a dual extrusion area in the forum where all topics related to it are discussed!

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Dual extrusion is still a kind of "black art" with personal 3D printers (like Felix 3.0) and you need to put in some time to learn what is needed to get good results.

I have used Cura to slice dual extrusion models with good results. Cura is available for free and a license for Kisslicer is not expensive and could be a good investment if you have tried single extrusion slicing with Kisslicer and like the results (I do).

Good luck with your setup.

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

Thanks for the hint.

Ok, will invest into Kiss and check how I can learn black art :arrow: :)

First thing is that two extruder nozzle height is permanentely changing :evil: Somehow I need to think of how I resolve that with a different solution. Any trick is welcome!

Does anybody know what the two screws do which are next to the hole where you feed Filament into head?

Sometime Filament does not feed anymore and wanted to know if I can adjust there anything.
Some better description could help learning courve(s)!

CSP

Post by CSP »

The two screws (with the washers and crinkeled washers underneath) control the pressure at which the filament is pushed against the extruer pulley. The more you tighten (clockwise) the screw the less the filament is pushed against the bearing. the more you loose the screw (counter clockwise) the more the filament is squished. If it's squished too hard it might happen that it won't fit through the extruder.

I've my screws tighten almost as hard as possible, because the gap between pulley and bearing is still small and the squeezing is way enough to push the filament trough the nozzle

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

frankjoke: I suggest the following to level both hotends identically (it might not be possible and not the best way to do it):

1. Look at step 61b in the manual and notice how the assembly secures both hotends (http://shop.felixprinters.com/downloads ... g_V1_b.pdf)
2. Loosen up the two bolts shown in step 62a
3. adjust the z-height end stop so that the hotends barely touch (ensure that the bed is 100% level beforehand and that the two bolts and the assembly is loose fitting so the hotends can move in the z direction) - this step has the potential to damage the tip of the hotends so please be careful/gentle!
4. when both hotends are level with the hotbed, tighten the two bolts again and readjust the z-height endstop

As I mention I'm not certain that this is the best (or even wise) method, but it is almost identical to how I have done it with my own dual extrusion design for my Felix printer and it has worked really great - the idle hotend never touches the extruded plastic. At least not as long as the active one doesn't either :)

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

Thanks a lot CSP,
I believed something similar but of course opposite direction (right tightens, left opens)...
Anyhow, will adjust.

Kjetilei, I did re-adjustment and managed again, will see when levels become different again.

I did not know Cure so will test. Has somebody settings for 3.0Dual?

I got license of Kisslicer and made first slice with PVA support.I also believe that changing extruder codes for Kiss is not well implemented because it goes on every layer to Home moving back to printing position it may scratch model if it always home Z as well!

At least I had something printed with two extruders. It seems I need to tweak PVA with different speed/temperature or whatever because it prints not as nice than PLA.

What settinjgs do you use for PVA?

Learned already to do a lot of 'Try and Error'...
Last edited by frankjoke on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

Ok, had to stop printing because head was crashing model when changing Extruder and going to Home on every layer :(
Will try to change code of head change that it will not touch Z when moving head and warming other extruder...

Did anybody of you do it without this extra code?

Makron

Post by Makron »

Please show some photo's i really like to see 3.0 in action

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

Here is a photo, you see that I made myself some different filalnment holders which are boud to the device.

I removed the head cover because it does not help a löot when leveling the heads/nozzles.

Hope it is not an issue with airflow...

I just started first new print which should avoid that head crashes into object, will see :)
Attachments
Photo (no clue why it's turned left in here :(
Photo (no clue why it's turned left in here :(

Return to “Software/Firmware”