not printing right

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Re: not printing right

Post by gfeliksdal »

A small drill or something else which is able to go through the nozzle exit smaller than 0.35mm should be OK. I clean it when the nozzle is hot (195)...the filament inside is then soft which makes it easy to insert the drill carefully by hand. Otherwise it is probably impossible to not break the small drill.

evanr

Post by evanr »

ok, I will give this a try.
I have a Dremel, I just need to find a .35mm drill bit.

In the mean time, I ordered another hot end just in case.
Worse case, if the .35mm drill works I can take on a dual extruder project.
Using the same material as support just doesn't cut it.

.... will let you know how it goes.
thanks for all the help so far!

evanr

Post by evanr »

I have printed 4 consequtive excellent parts!

It seems the issue was indeed a contaminated/clogged extruder tip AND the Bed was too high temp.... or the printer could by playing a joke on me and only working for now :o)

What I did was this:
I used a 1.27mm Ball-End Hex Key to push filament from the top of the extruder down to the tip - to push any filament out - slowly up/down, up/down.
Took it out, cleaned it and did it again.
Then I used a 1.5mm Ball-End Hex key to do the same.

A standard needle for sewing thread is about .65mm and the tip is about .3mm.
I only pushed it in a little from the extruder tip into the .35mm hole (wow, that's a small hole!)
Turned it a few times.

I'm a little concerned using a .3mm drill bit by hand... I would definately ruin that little hole.
But I'm still looking for the bit as I have a feelinig it will one day come in handy.

40x10 TEST PRINT:
Extruder: 200C then down to 185C
Bed: 55C
Fan: ON after first layer

The wavyness on the Ysides is gone.
It was indeed caused by the Bed set too high 60C+.
I thought for sure it was Z-axis wobble.

Thanks for your help Guillaume!!!

Now, if I can only figure out how to get that needle down the top of the extruder and into the .35mm hole to clean it from the inside (without losing the needle)??
Attachments
PRINT 10 - FOUR CONSEQUTIVE GOOD PRINTS
PRINT 10 - FOUR CONSEQUTIVE GOOD PRINTS

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Glad to hear it worked!

To clean it from the inside you can remove the top 2 parts from the hot-end. Leave the heated nozzle hanging and heat it up. Best to hold the heated nozzle part with a pliers. Then you can access the inside with the needle. Another way of cleaning the inside is (tipped by dognotdog):
Heat up to 195
Extruder some filament approx 10 cm
Lower temp to approx 110 deg
turn off motors
pull filament with your hands slowly

evanr

Post by evanr »

FLOSS YOUR FELIX!!

I went to a music store.
Bought $5.00 worth of stainless steel E strings for a guitar.
.23mm, .30mm and .33mm

Pushed out the guck from top down using a ball-end hex key as mentioned above.
Then proceeded to floss the extruder, feeding from bottom then from top-to-bottom.
A lot of goop came out stuck to the wire, different colours even.

I'll do this every 10-15hrs of printing, doesn't take long.
It seems to have worked really well.

The alternate is to use the tip of a needle for a quick fix.
But I did this and then on hour 7 of 8hrs printing I had a clog.

I'd rather use the .30mm drill bit as a last resort.

I hope this info can help someone.

Don't forget to floss regularly! :o)

TyRGeN

Post by TyRGeN »

Hi sorry if i am not posting in the right section but my printer is not printing right and i have a question.

First, I received a new silver filament from fabberworld (in switzerland) it looks fine but after some printing tests
I found my nozzle "clogged" (totally blocked by plastic). Thanks to your explanations i opened it and used a 1.5 drill to reopen the way from the extruder but did not went all the way to the nozzle output. Instead I pre-heated the extruder to 250°C and waited for 5 minutes before inserting the tip of the tweezers, in order to let the melted plastic go out (no needles available yesterday).

After that i made the plastic pass trought a wet paper towel and printed the Kjetilei's x-axis belt holder with default settings
- the bed was heated at 65°C but the bottom of the object bent itself (it did not stick to the bed all along, maybe the bed is too hot, i'll try 55° later)
- I have some issues with the alignment:
  • - for instance some borders are 1mm away from the object
    - or the "walls" around the holes begun to be correctly printed but after a moment it looks like the printer made one more step on the x-axis which gives a poor and fragile aspect to the object.
My english is a bit poor so I don't know if i explained myself well and i don't know if it is a blacklash or another problem which has been already discussed in the forum so instead of trying to explain it please take a look at the resulting photos.

Any advices ?

Ty
Attachments
Borders 1mm away from the rest of the object
Borders 1mm away from the rest of the object
20130124_007.jpg
This middle "wall" is as weak as a plastic bag :(
This middle "wall" is as weak as a plastic bag :(
Here we can see a shifted border
Here we can see a shifted border
The first layer of the "wall" holding holes begins well but is not finished, it went directly to the x+1 layer
The first layer of the "wall" holding holes begins well but is not finished, it went directly to the x+1 layer

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Judging at your holes, it looks like your pulley is loose on the motor axis. Is that correct?

TyRGeN

Post by TyRGeN »

Hi Guillaume,
Thanks for your advice, well i am not sure, the pulley seems to be tight

But tonight I have :
- tighten the little screw of the puley (not so much, less than 1/4th)
- removed the belt from the X-axis carrier and pulled it harder, the little cube used to fine tune the belt tension is no more straight (to much tension). Therefore i don't want to set the screw to the maximum and break the belt (if i pluck it, the belt sounds like a guitar string).
- put some WD-40 (Teflon spray ?) on a paper towel and rubbed the linear bearings.

I am waiting for it to finish to see the result

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Fingers crossed!

Note: you should not use WD-40. I do not know what is the best thing to use for lubricating the linear bearings but when the day comes when my bearings need lubricant I plan on using my PTFE spray (it will last me several life times).

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

Just spotted this post and saw comments about re-drilling the extruder nozzle......my advice....be...VERY careful....if you touch it you will undoubtedly increase it's diameter from what ever it once was.......though how close it is to 0.35mm is anybody guess....

I used a sewing needle gently offered up to the tip to ensure a 'truer' aperture......though i'm certain I never reformed the alu nozzle, though rather added order to the previously chaotic extruder tip due to melted filament oozing everywhere......clear this random ooze and your 0.35mm exit extrusion will be true and predictable thus representative of the geode :D

http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... e&start=80

Return to “General”