not printing right

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

TyRGeN

Re: not printing right

Post by TyRGeN »

Hi all,

Thanks for your advices, it seems to have worked, i retried to print the X-axis oject and it doesn't suffer from this shifting anymore ! (Yai !)

Regarding the lubrification WD-40 seems to be a bad idea. I think it removed more lube than nothing, it's still working but i have to resist adding a bit of grease for bykes in and go buy that "PTFE" spray.

Finally, thanks for your link strat ! I am tring to solve that (i don't have 0.35mm drill nor usable needles) :/

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

Pulling the filament out in reverse after heating to 70-80°C works best for me. When done right, you can see the shape of the nozzle in the bit you pull out, and also contaminants. Sometimes the filament tears without pulling out everything, in which case one has to repeat: heat nozzle to 180°C, try to push through some filament -> let it cool to room temperature -> heat to 70-80°C and try to pull out filament shortly before target temp is reached.

evanr

Post by evanr »

Hi All,

All was printing well, yesterday was a great print.

The I go to print something in the morning,
and the X-axis doesn't move.

Here is a picture.
Sometimes I can home X, sometimes it just doesn't move.
It stopped moving mid print.

I shut everything off, software & printer.
Rebooted and reset the printer.
I even re-adjusted the X-potmeter,
it seemed low... thought it was not enough power.

When I hit home, motor humms and bzzzz.
Sometimes X sounds tired and barely moves...
but I think this was fixed when I re-adjusted the pot-meter.

I did a 40x10 test print and the result is what is in the picture.
Now X doesn't move again.

Now X is ok again,
sometime Y is stuck too.
Intermitent.

Sometimes the motor movement is slow to respond to Repetier commands (ie: home).
All axis are intermitent, slow to respond.
Sometimes it is good.....

I don't get it, it was perfect yesterday.
All I did was wake up and try to print a part?

Any ideas?
Evan
Attachments
X-AXIS NOT MOVING - INTERMITENT
X-AXIS NOT MOVING - INTERMITENT

evanr

Post by evanr »

Is my printer dead?

There is no control of home, or co-ordinates.
It is completely sporadic.
I have no idea when it will work and does not work for long.
Can't print anything...................

X-axis is mainly affected.
When I home X, it just clicks and bzzz.
But all axis are doing this intermitently, mainly X.
I have to unplug the USB.

-I checked the heat sinks for the chips on the board, they seem to be positioned properly.
-Pot meters tuned properly.
-I tried a different USB cable.

no difference.

I'm using:
Repetier Host V0.70b
Firmware_Marlin_RC2_Felix_1_0_RevD_v2

I think it may be the Firmware, but I already downgraded from Rep.82b and FirmW. RevE a month ago because I had a similar problem..... so I just don't know anymore, it was good up until this morning.

I don't get it??
I have a tradeshow in 2 weeks and I need prototypes for display.

Please, can someone help me?

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Hi evanr,
I'm so sorry to hear that things are still problematic with your printer.

I don't have any specific input on how to solve it, but I believe this is most likely caused by a faulty RAMPS/Arduino or faulty stepper drivers.

(Although I seem to remember that I had similar problems with strange/faulty homing after I had changed my faulty electronics and that it was firmware related. I'm just not sure if I remember correctly...)

PS: could we help you with printing the prototypes for the tradeshow?

chillkroete

Post by chillkroete »

Hey,

"same" problems here, tried to re-adjusted the X,Y,Z-potmeter because of rpinting failure.
Start Printing and while printing y-axis stops, and now the y-axis does nothing since 30 Minutes... not sure what i should do now,... I only followed the intrudaction for felix (cause forgott it at first prints, to adjust the potmeter)...

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

@evanr: sorry to hear you got these strange issues. It might be that one of the stepper drivers are broken? Have you for testing purposes tried to exchange the stepper drivers of the x with z axis? If problems still are the same with the x-axis, you could probably rule out the issues with the stepper driver. Also it's probably a good idea to install the latest firmware. available at www.felixprinters.com/downloads I have had problems on an occasional printer with the opto sensors with the firmware revD.

evanr

Post by evanr »

Thank you so much for all of your help!

I did end up installing the latest firmware (FW-Marlin-RC3-Felix-15) & Repetier software (setupRepetierHostFELIXPrinters_0_83).

This is the 3rd firmware I've installed on the printer, about 1 per month.... doesn't sound right.
Anyways, the latest firmware seemed to have fixed the issue.... again.
RevE is no good (for me)
RevD was good for 1 month up until a few days ago.
now I'm using the latest

Also, the latest Repetier software doesn't seem to work for my printer,
My setup now is: Rep 7.0 and FW-Marlin-RC3-Felix-15.

Thanks for the offer to printer prototypes for me, Kjetilei!
thanks again Guillaume.
I'll see if I can post some pics of my product printed on the Felix after the tradeshow.

For now, things are working again..... nice parts, whew!
chillkroete wrote:Hey,

"same" problems here, tried to re-adjusted the X,Y,Z-potmeter because of rpinting failure.
Start Printing and while printing y-axis stops, and now the y-axis does nothing since 30 Minutes... not sure what i should do now,... I only followed the intrudaction for felix (cause forgott it at first prints, to adjust the potmeter)...
If things go wonky, first thing I think about are firmware or the heat sinks on the Arduino sitting on top of the chips.
Make sure heat sinks aren't touching any contacts.
This is the 3rd firmware & 3rd Rep software I've had to try in 2 months.
Try updating/downgrading firmware.
Try different combinations....
Eventually, something should work.

chillkroete

Post by chillkroete »

I thought my RAMPS is broken on y-axis.

Bacause I tested the Y-Axis-Motor on the X-Axis on the RAMP and it worked. Only my y-Axis doesnt work. Tested RevE and RevD to fix the problem with Mac and Windows RepetiertHost (0.52 - 0.83) - Also checked the heatsink...

It wont work :/
btw: Also tried the Ramps 1.4 TestCode from RepRap - same problem y-axis wont move.

But thanks for your help anyway evanr.

Trnquill

Post by Trnquill »

evanr wrote:RevD was good for 1 month up until a few days ago.
I haven't followed this thread too closely, but my printer does exactly what you say above from time to time. The firmware just corrupts somehow and I have to re-upload it again. Has happened several times to me after I got the printer some months ago. Some times the calibration parameters change and my prints are of wrong measurements. Usually the printer just dies and does not boot up anymore.

It happened again yesterday. I had printed some parts the day before yesterday but yesterday the printer just didn't start. All I had in the LCD was two bars of black boxes. Because I already knew what to do it only took 15 or so minutes to rebuild & upload the firmware and I was happily printing again. But to me the printer spontaneously corrupting its firmware sounds really odd and wrong!

Return to “General”