Im done figthing the extruder

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Lioric

Re: Im done figthing the extruder

Post by Lioric »

And the third thermistor is gone today. I think that is it

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Hi Loric,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing even more trouble!

If I understand you correctly, you do not use the regular RAMPS solution. Could that affect the thermistor troubles?

I understand that you didn't buy the printer to tinker with, but to use as a tool, but I hope you do not give up. Hang in there :) Get Guillaume to send you some replacements or buy a bulk of thermistors to have available.

And do consider trying a J-Head :)

PS: I would love to hear about the electrnics you are using (/have developed) with your Felix.

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Yes, it seems to be one of those weeks ;)

At one night it was printing alright, the next morning the thermistor is non functional.

I'm using RAMPS (granted not the regular vanilla RAMPS) but it should not affect the thermistor. After all they are just resistors (just a little more thermal dependent than normal resistors), so there is no really an easy way to damage them from the driver electronics. I have not reviewed the way they are wired internally in RAMPS, but most probably they are part of a voltage divider (firmware suggests along with a 4.7k) connected to an ADC pin from the Arduino Mega

I will keep an eye on the J-Head, it sounds as a good option. Hopefully it solves the issues

About the thermistor:

Do any one knows what the part number (and brand) of those is?
I emailed Guillaume but it seems he is not around (have not replied, maybe he is busy).

On some old thread I see that Guillaume mentions using an EPCOS B57560G104F, but from pictures they don't look as the part in our printers (it is shown without the metal "capsule" cap)
PS: I would love to hear about the electrnics you are using (/have developed) with your Felix.
Hopefully I can give you more details soon. For now I can say that it has 7 electronic modules more than the average Felix printer, and at the core an ARM Cortex A9 1.6GHz quad-core is doing its magic

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Lioric:

I do agree and really don't see why the electronics board should cause any troubles with the thermistor.

I must be a lucky bast**rd because one of my thermistors got pulled out really hard of it's metal capsule and still worked. I only put some silicone on and inserted it back into the capsule and crossed my fingers. It turned out nicely.

As you probably know, we use temperature sensor setting no 1 in the Marlin firmware with the following source code comment:
1 is 100k thermistor - best choice for EPCOS 100k (4.7k pullup)

I found an item on ebay that looks similar to the new type hot end thermistor, but it would be best to get Guillaume to clarify since it could be the wrong type for our use.

The important thing would to buy a thermistor that is known "compatible" with Marlin and small enough to fit into the hot end thermistor hole.

Guillaume was down with the flu last week but also crazy busy preparing for the RapidPro trade fair that started Tuesday and ended Wednesday. Hopefully he will resume regular activities very soon.

I'm looking forward to hear about your specialized electronics modules :)

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Nice find!

But from the picture it looks to have 4 wires. Will ask for the datasheet to see if it can work with our printers

Hopefully Guillaume recovers soon

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Lioric,

It sucks that you have so much trouble with the hot-end. I cannot really place all the issues you have, since I considered the hot-end quite reliable. They should last longer than just a couple of weeks. As indication the hot-ends I have running day and night are working for half a year now. They need an occasional cleaning. I use a small 0.35 drill to clean the nozzle exit.

I know that it is in my environment and using only the same filament and so on. There are a lot of factors were it could go wrong. So, therefore I'm curious under what conditions you used it and maybe we can pinpoint were it goes wrong.
What filament did you use? What manufacturer?
Change a lot from ABS to PLA?
I would like to know the environment. temp, draft/no draft.
Printing temperature?

My suspicion so far is:
- top part of hot-end is too hot or is at a critical temp, so PLA already melts too fast? I know you live in a warm country, so it could be that the surrounding temp is too high and the top fan cannot cool the top part of the hot-end enough. Solution could be to put 12V on the top part instead of the 5V.
- You have been using bad quality filament. I've trying several suppliers of filament, and some filament it is impossible to print reliable with.
- No dust filter to protect inside of hot-end.

The thermistor provided with our printers are based on the specs of an Epcos B57560G104F. We let it pre-assemble by the factory. With a stainless steel cover and 2m black wires.

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

HI,

Just a quick and maybe obvious thought, but the top part appear to be cooled by a fan, is the fan working?

Dave

nigelbrockbank

Post by nigelbrockbank »

I hear the pain...

Has anyone switched to a J Head Mk V or VI extruder?
If so, any known problems/issues when adapting to one?

I'm in Australia and it's hot. I wish I was always in air conditioned comfort, but I'm not. I'm having constant issues with the extruder and I want to change. It could be the PLA, it could be the environment, it could be me... but it seems that the extruder isn't robust enough for these variables and the J Head looks like it may be...

ANY help appreciated.

Nigel

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi NIgel,
You could try to connect the fan blowing on top of the hot-end to the 12V instead of 5V if it is very hot in the room. If the hot-end top is hotter than approx 50-60 degC it could be problematic. The PLA melts too soon and will clog the hot-end.

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

And there goes another hot end, @#$#%% !!!

It was working alright for the last few days with a new thermistor, and today it clogged so bad that there is no way in this universe to unclog it (and Im using felix filament, a bracket with sponge to auto clean the filament going into the hot end, a spool bracket so it goes nice and easy)

Thank you very much, but I'm moving on to the other hot end posted in another thread. Only issue is that how in the world can the new hot end bracket printed if the thing is not working!!!

Return to “General”