Next version wannahaves

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Kjetilei

Re: Next version wannahaves

Post by Kjetilei »

stratogavster wrote:we've been hacked!
Hi Stratogavster: I'm a bit puzzled. What do you mean?

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

I received an email that an addition has been made to this thread....when I check it was 2 very long posts about weight loss programs!! it's not the first time either!!

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Aha!

We've had many spam accounts posting spam on the forum for several months. They've been banned and the posts deleted as fast as possible.

Actually I don't see the point in these spam posts. To my knowledge they do not create higher page ranking in Google (rather the opposite) after the latest algorithm updates from Google.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

I indeed banned the user. Pretty annoying the spambots. I've already enabled the most difficult verification key, to prevent spambots from entering the forum. I guess they get smarter everyday...

Maanite

Post by Maanite »

Hello.

I have one wish at the moment, and that is easily and accurately adjustable z-motor bracket. I don't know if it's just me, but I've found it very hard to get rid of the z-wobble because adjusting the motor position is a very hit-and-miss kind of a process. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong. I already wrote about that in this thread:
http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... f=14&t=219

I realize proper adjustability would make the mounting parts much more complex than the current bracket. But since getting rid of the z-wobble is so important to the print quality, I think it would be a reasonable trade-off.

As I see it, here are the problems of the current design:
- since the weight is not centered, just loosening and/or tightening the bolt that attaches the bracket to the frame changes the orientation of the motor
- if the bolt is loosened too much, the motor falls (if only a couple of millimeters)
- with the bolt properly tight, the bracket is always against the frame, and that means it's in the same position in one direction and it's only possible to adjust it "sideways", unless you hack the design with some extra bits to force the bracket

Ideally, I would like to see a mounting system where the motor is attached to a bracket which hangs in a bracket which hangs in a bracket which is attached to the frame. First bracket would rotate in lets say zx-plane and have an adjustment screw or bolt to accurately fix the angle, the next would rotate in zy-plane the same way, and the outermost bracket would have a couple of millimeters adjustability in xy plane.

And then it would be possible to methodically adjust the wobble by turning 2 bolts a bit at the time until the wobble is gone.

But then again, maybe it's just me and doesn't make redesign worthwhile. In that case, any further advice on thez-wobble appreciated.

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

I'm with you Maanite!

I really like the printer and, in general, the design. I've got some reasonably good prints for my use but I certainly wouldn't be offering a 3D printing serivce with the z-axis wobble that is present. I've tried everything including getting a new z-axis bolt and motor coupler from Felix - it did improve it but the wobble is still there. I like the simple but effective belt-tensioner mechanisms, the hot-end parts etc but I must admit the z-axis is to say the least primative and yet, as you say, its key to getting some good quality parts.

Dave

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

The z-axis wobble if nothing else works could also be caused by the z-axis rod not being straight. If that's the case nothing will help.

I'm working on a solution with a different spindle, which is more likely to be straight. Also the construction will not be overdefined anymore. It might come sooner than you think...

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

I feel the inherent 'play' in the Z-axis linear bearing is allowing this 'Z wobble' to take place....if the machine had a better Z axis linear bearing then the lead-screw straightness is almost a moot point. With my Z axis I can physically wobble it myself a few mm out of place in any direction, thus the bent lead-screw takes the Z carriage 'with it' as it moves.

Better Z linear bearings would be great....a migration to dual LM12LUU on the Z axis would be great in my view :D

satoer

Post by satoer »

Better to remove the source of the problem. Besides that, it won't solve the problem completely. If you inspecting closely to the Z-motor while turning you can see it bounce up and down. This results in layer smash.

If you inspect the printed parts, what do you see?

This:
<......>
<......>
<......>
<......>
is layer smash

This:
<......<
.>......>
<......<
.>......>

Heated bed wobbling.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

I agree on the play in the z-axis bearing, when standard from the supplier, although when tuned correctly, there is almost no play present. The advantage of the bearings is also that they are very stiff.

The next version printer will have hiwin bearings for the z-axis slider. Like the x and y-bearings, they have no play, low friction and are very stiff. The alone will reduce/eliminate the wobble. Next to that there will be applied an acme rod with a larger diameter a larger pitch. This rod is easier to fabricate straight.

I've tried dual LM10LUU bearings. Results are that the long rods are acting as a weak spring becasue they are only supported on the top and bottom. I think LM12LUU might be stiff enough, but it will have a bulky appearance with the current frame imo.

Return to “General”