High quality prints

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

black1q

Re: High quality prints

Post by black1q »

Where should I send my prints? Directly to Make Magazine or to you Guillaume?

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Please send it to me. I'll refund you the shipment costs. Thanks can't wait to see your results.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Owl printed using Guillaume's Owl skein forge settings with cheap chinese filament. Printed at 175/60 degrees.

Really nice result although not perfect. Notice how the model "masks" the problems I have with my printer in a great way. Who could have thought that the chess piece and this owl is printed on the same machine?

Flaws:
- 4 to 5 filament pieces sticking out on the chest. I'm uncertain if it is caused by unfortunate placement of layer change or something else
- the bottom of the "chin" is a little bit sloppy defined
- the curved line on the lower left side of the head is not as evenly defined as the right side
- "wide" gaps on layer changes resulting in small holes

I printed it with a one layer raft and have not cleaned up the edges on the bottom 100%. Except from that I have not fixed any flaws.
bilde-4.jpg
bilde-3.jpg
bilde-1.jpg
bilde-5.jpg
bilde-6.jpg
bilde 7.JPG
bilde 8.JPG
bilde 9.JPG
I plan to print one (or several) of the other test files later tonight. Looking forward to see the result.
Last edited by Kjetilei on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HLA

Post by HLA »

Hey team,

These are my recent prints of the nautilus gears. After looking at the pictures, I realize that there is significant improvement potential at hand. I look forward to your suggestions!

The used SFACT's profile is "Production without support", with 1.00 infill. These are the problems that cought my eye in first place:
- slight oozing between the spokes of the "shell". However, this is very particular for the white PLA since I usually don't have oozing with other colors;
- top layer is not "nice", i.e. does not resamble a smooth structure

Will try to print this with a friendlier PLA (pink works well) and play around with some settings.

Andrei
Attachments
naut2_komp.jpg
naut1_komp.jpg

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Andrei: Good to see the first print of the Nautilus test :) I'm quite surprised how bad the white PLA worked compared to the blue one. This really shows that there is a lot of variables that needs to be right to get good print outs (and some PLA might just not cut it). What temperature did you print at? Was it maybe too hot?

The top layer is often a little bit uneven but since I have not payed very much attention to extremely nice print outs earlier I'm not the best to judge if the top layer on the blue parts are above or below average :) Photos also lie: I like the bottom blue pieces much better than the top blue pieces even though they are the same!

Have you tried to assemble it to see how smooth it is? Are the holes and pegs round or do you have some backlash?

Hopefully the pink one will work much better :)

If you look at jabella's photos on Flickr you'll see several different Nautilus prints (and some of them are not good either): http://www.flickr.com/photos/jabella/

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

I'll try to print the snake and Nautilus tonight.

It would be really nice if someone could try to print the Octopus and the torture test.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Guillaume: Have you been able to print more test prints that you could upload to the thread?

The snake is currently printing with the minimum layer hight profile but it seems like I have hit a segment of the filament with some air or moisture trapped (I can hear small popping noises). hopefully it will turn to ok never the less :)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Wow nice to see all the pictures and good prints.
@kjetil: The owl looks pretty good, which profile or layer height did you use. Still see a slight z-axis wobble present in your owl...

@andrei: The nautulus wheel looks pretty nice. My experience with fully filling a part is that the feed rate is very critical to not have an overfilled part.
Also the little stringing you mentioned might be due to a too high temperature for the white PLA. When I print with my blue filament I have to lower the temp 5 degrees compared to for instance my red filament to prevent stringing and blobs at the start of perimeters

I'm currently printing the chess piece with the high-quality profile. I'll also print out the octopus.

Today I finished printing the owl at 50micrometer layerheight. It took a whopping 15hours...I forgot to lower the infill value. I'm stunned at some parts of the print, but also not quite satisfied with other parts. It takes a lot of finetuning to print well at 50micrometer. Its a bummer that bad lighting and black color really brings accentuates all the bad parts, especially when you compare the picture when holding it in your hands. But anyways, check out the results.
Just after finishing print back
Just after finishing print back
Just after finshing print front
Just after finshing print front
P9110422.JPG
P9110415.JPG
P9110423.JPG
rubbed off the strings by hand
rubbed off the strings by hand

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Guillaume:
Congratulations with the nice owl print!

z-axis wobble - the reason why I ordered the new coupling from you ;) Profile: not the one I thought... Most likely default with 0.25mm layer height. I'm having a strange problem with the latest Repetier-Host Mac installation (see other thread).

I'm experiencing some minor setbacks with the snake. The sides are lifting/curling after a when not using a raft. Will get there in the end...

HLA

Post by HLA »

This is great - an amazing opportunity to learn.

@Guillaume: Wow, that owl is fantastic as far as I can judge the pictures. That is the ultimate goal - that is the kind of output that can compete with the injection molded part. That is the reason I love 3D printing so much.
@ Kjetil: That is definitely a great owl, I am impressed by the output using standard settings.

Regarding the gears: Indeed, the temperature was a bit too high: 210deg. Well, if I think about it, maybe not "a bit". So far this worked well with other colors, but white seems to be oozy despite the amazing bonding of the first layer.

In order to make my output comparable, I am currently printing my owl overnight to see whether I have similar issues as you guys. I think I will learn quicker this way and will be able to improve my results in the given time. I am using 190deg, black filament (from Guillaume) and the "owl" setting in SFACT.

One issue I noticed but never bothered to ask: my circles come out slightly stretched along the X-Y-axis (diagonally). What would you advise me to adjust? Belts are well tensioned and bolts are tightened.

Thanks!

Return to “General”