High quality prints

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Kjetilei

Re: High quality prints

Post by Kjetilei »

Guillaume: Since my experiences with sub 0.25mm prints are extremely limited I have only used your settings unmodified. I think it would be smart to experiment with both retraction and z-lift and run it at the lowest temperature setting that runs reliable.

This last week's quest for high quality prints have reignited a passion for high quality prints that I have not bothered with since I got the printer and saw that the default 0.25 setting produced lovely prints, although not as impressive as the "invisible layers" 0.05mm prints. For my "engineering" oriented focus 0.25mm was more than enough. Sadly my machine was not fine tuned (which I was fully aware of) when we received the invitation to produce the high quality test prints and as you know I'm in for a serious update next week where hopefully I'll iron out all the kinks (but too late for MAKE).

I'll try to print one or more of your gcode test files and see what results I can achieve. Thanks! If the results ends up good enough I'll just post them directly to MAKE since time is seriously running out :)

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Guillaume: Will you also print the nautilus wheels? You could try to print two versions: regular 0.25mm and a 0.1mm or 0.05mm version.

I have started to print your gcode version of the owl. Currently on the first layer - soon finished ;)

Question: Why have you placed the owl on the middle of the bed? Would it not be better to place it nearer the y-axis sliding bearing? I always try to place my prints centered over the sliding bearing if possible :)
Last edited by Kjetilei on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Haha, happy waiting for the owl...

I've printed the nautilus wheels with 0.1mm layer height and came out pretty good. I'll post pics tomorrow...

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Looking forward to your photos. Hopefully I'll have a nice owl to post photos of too :)

black1q

Post by black1q »

Heeeeelp ????!!!???!!!!
Of cause I saved the settings, else it would not calculate 750 layers for the owl, but I found out that pronterface at the end always calculate with 0.25 between the layers. Thats pretty strange because on the same computer with the same settings I could print my own objects with 0.10 layers. I was so confused that I tried my second computer on which I used the printer first, and there the owl was calculated with 0.10 layers. I think that I have two different versions of pronterface but I dont find any version number, and maybe I made something wrong on my second computer as I linked pronterface and skeinforge.
But if this is true, why does it work with my own prints??? I dont understand anything right now! :?

HLA

Post by HLA »

Amazing results over the past two days! The octopus is brilliant – the glossy finish is simply breathtaking. This was a great and fun exercise – you learn so much by comparing the results and sharing the experience on specific tasks. Maybe we’ll want to organize this more often ;)

I agree with others that Guillaume's prints are the benchmark for what the printer is capable of. I would have loved to send my results to MAKE, but I am afraid that it would spoil the average. The quality of the output on my printer in the current non-optimized state leaves more to be desired.

However, I managed to repair the slack of the x-axis (hurray!) which was caused by the transport damage (hint: always buckle up your printer in a car). In particular, all damaged parts of the extruder were reprinted and replaced; kapton tape was placed inside the sliding bearing of the x-axis.

Moreover, the maker-bug bit me again. Hence, in the spirit of experimentation, I even made a slight modification and introduced an aluminium plate to support the base of the extruder (see picture). The use of Al-plate is meant to kill two birds with one stone:
a) Provide additional support for the weight of the extruder;
b) Improve thermal regulation of the extruder (ABS printing);

The slack in the x-axis is gone now.

This add-on contradicts the goal of the printer for easy manufacturing and assembly, and I hope Guillaume will not judge me for it. Note that this is also not required to get high quality prints in PLA – Guillaume’s results prove this - but could be useful for ABS. We’ll see.

Will make some tests over the next days and will report back!
Attachments
Part of plastic was removed from the extruder base and replaced with a CNC-milled alumninium plate.
Part of plastic was removed from the extruder base and replaced with a CNC-milled alumninium plate.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

HLA: WOW! I really like your modification! Nice to hear that your hard work has payed of and resulted in removing the x-axis slack! I think that your modification deserves a separate thread and hope you can post it under Hacks and printer upgrades!

Yes I also believe we should organize events like this more often to push the most out of our printers. Maybe our next mission should be to optimize as many printers as possible :) That way we will not be caught unprepared if another "high quality beauty shots challenge" hits us...

I sent Guillaume some ideas for activities a couple of weeks ago but I'm uncertain if it is fair to "demand" that he organizes everything or if we should help him out and do it ourselves leaving more time to Guillaume for developing, building and support.

Now onto my results from the last 24-hours. They can be summarized in one word: failure! ;)

I started printing the owl. The initial results where breathtaking but at 4-5mm I experienced my first (of extremely many) extruder jams. I managed to get it going after having paused the print but you could easily see a couple of layers where the extruder had acted up. After that it it continued to print for 3-4mm before it jammed again. This time I didn't manage to stop it soon enough and after removing the jam I was unable to continue the print. This left me with 8mm printed of the owl. I love the details and accuracy though!

Today I decided to try to print the chess piece instead since less would be lost if the extruder jammed. I think I ended up with 10-15 jams before I gave up... I now have 7 small pieces varying from under 1mm to 6mm. Several of those where restarted after jams...

Tonight I have added a second filament roll holder and I'm trying to print with filament from another vendor. At the moment everything looks ok but I'm only at 2-3mm...

I'll take some photos tomorrow of the failures and hopefully of a fully printed owl. I'm crossing my fingers but do not expect success.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Another day. Another failure ;)

I had changed from the blue Reprapper filament to a yellow filament from Supply3DPLA before printing the owl. None the less I had one jam while I was still awake that I managed to recover from. During the print I noticed tiny spots with blue plastic several times. Most likely I have/had some contamination inside the hot end that gave me a hard time.

Then the extruder jammed a couple of minutes after I went to bed. When I woke up the printer was doing an exercise run in empty space without any extruding going on. It had even chewed through the filament of pure boredom due to inactivity.

I tried to feed new filament to force out the old filament. Without success...

Now I'm stuck with a hot end that needs complete disassembling/cleaning. Oh well :)

This means I'm down for I while. I'm awaiting new parts from Guillaume that requires disassembling/finetuning of several parts of the printer and I don't want to risk breaking the tiny wires to the hot end due to multiple disassembling/assembling. I don't think I'll be up and running before next weekend the earliest.

It's not all bad. I bought Felix to be able to tinker with it so disassembling/assembling can be fun :)

I'll post photos of my failed prints later today.

HLA

Post by HLA »

I am sorry to hear about the malfunction of your hotend. I also know how frustrating this is - I have been in the same situation of constant extruder jams.

Did you try cleaning the hotend with this procedure: http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... ?f=14&t=29 It worked for me even for hard contaminants like aluminium particles. Another thing I would consider is increasing the tension of the extruder arm. This may be relevant since the filament sometimes gets stuck on the borders between PEEK and metal which is exacerbated by thermal expansion of the filament and hot-end parts (there is a thread on reprap.com on this). So pushing the filament with a higher force should resolve this.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

HLA: I haven't started the cleaning yet but planned to look into the existing threads to see if I could learn some more.

The extruder arm is tightened so much that I have to force the filament in and it's not slipping as such but the stepper tries to turn the axle but fails. With the filament stuck and the stepper's constant "micro movements" the filament is eventually "filed" down.

Photos of failure ;)
Hall of shame
Hall of shame
Tiny layers
Tiny layers
Well defined claws
Well defined claws
Nice texture ruined by extruder jams
Nice texture ruined by extruder jams
Difference between layer heights - yellow is bad for detailed photos
Difference between layer heights - yellow is bad for detailed photos
Contamination in 6 places (not easy to see)
Contamination in 6 places (not easy to see)

Return to “General”