New extruder carriage design for E3D Bowden Hot end V5

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
twicx

Re: New extruder carriage design for E3D Bowden Hot end

Post by twicx »

satoer have you got a picture of it from where the angled fan (for cooling the fillament) is mounted to the printed part. I'm trying to figure it out, but it's a little confusing as to what way the bolts go.

alanh

Post by alanh »

You have to initially force the M4 bolt horizontally all the way through the fan hole to mate with the bolt inside the E3D chassis holder. You may need to use a tool to clean out the hole, but an M4 bolt sits all the way in. Once you do that, the M4 nyloc nut can sit in the hole ready for the fan bolt.

twicx

Post by twicx »

ah. I see. Thanks for that! :)

Bachgassenbande

Post by Bachgassenbande »

Did that night my first long print (6h) and results are promising.
Finish of surfaces are much better than original nozzle.
Just have the issue that I still need to tweak settings for KISSlicer to get better control of oozing.

Pictures will follow
Felix 2.0
E3D Kraken Hotend
3mm Glas bed
LED light bar upgrade

alanh

Post by alanh »

I'm having some problems. Got it all installed. And it's like the extrusion isn't coming out quick enough and therefore not sticking to the bed. Although I've checked that when I extrude 10mm of filament, there's definitely 10mm of filament being pushed through.

Any tweaks that have to be made to SFACT or Slic3r with a bowden feed ?

I'm using 0.2mm for the first layer, and 0.1mm for others using Slic3r at the moment, and changed to a 0.4mm head. Used to work with the old hotend.

Seem to have gone backwards :-(

dsnijders

Post by dsnijders »

Really cool. Has anybody tried this E3D hot end for direct extrusion (so without bowden cable, leaving extruder stepper motor where it is standard). If yes, how does it work and is there a design available for a modified extruder part? I would be interested in that.

BTW, having lots of issues with extruder Jams. Changed reiteration to 0.70 mm max, hope this helps a bit.

alanh

Post by alanh »

O.k. Getting better, seems my Z stop was miscalibrated after the hotend change.

But I'm getting an issue after retraction, and a move, filament extrusion doesn't always come until a second or so later. I'm playing around with Slic3r now.

Anyone have any ideas ?

satoer

Post by satoer »

Check if there's no slug on the bowden cable connections. Push the bowden cable into the vacuum fitting while pulling the top locking part from the vacuum fitting. I don't think its a slicer setting. If it worked before with the felix hot end, it should be working with the e3d. So don't set the "extra extrusion after retract" parameter.

@dsnijders: Why?. Whats holding you back from a bowden setup? I havent seen any direct drive Felix e3d setups. But feel free to design one ;-)
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

alanh

Post by alanh »

Hi satoer,

Thanks for the reply. It seems I'm having trouble with extrusion. The lock/release mechanism seems too tight for my filament and has compressed it on two occasions now and I've had to pull out the filament from the top of the lock/release and cut it away and push new filament in only to see crushed filament.

I've checked the 45mm M4 bolts and they're only just about screwed into the M4 nuts, and I'm using the IKEA prezza springs as well. I'll try not switching the lock all the way over tomorrow, just enough to start feeding.

satoer

Post by satoer »

I don't understand why the mechanism is too tight. The tension is completely adjustable from really loose to really tight. Are you sure you assembled it the right way? You can also remove one spring tensioner leaving only one. But I've designed it to work with two.
Does the extruder stepper motor skip steps?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Return to “Hacks and printer upgrades”