Quick connectors for Extruder wires

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
Kjetilei

Quick connectors for Extruder wires

Post by Kjetilei »

I have thought about ways to add quick connectors for the (dual) extruder(s) and have found 4-pin JST 2.5 SM connectors that seems to fit the bill.

You can find several different alternatives on eBay. Search for "JST RGB" or "JST SM 4".

Example:
4 pin JST connector
4 pin JST connector
Data sheet:
http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/JSTSM.pdf

Does anyone know of any (better) alternatives?

satoer

Post by satoer »

Is 3 Ampère enough? Have you measured how much current the heater draws?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

I haven't measured the current drawn by the heater.

To my understanding the connector is rated at 3 ampere at 250 volts (750 watt) and should be usable, but I'm definitely not an expert!

I haven't bought the connectors yet since I still haven't had/taken the time to redesign the dual extruder for better cable management.

Bullet connectors could also be used for the heater. 3mm or 4mm connectors ought to be plenty enough although I have no data to verify that claim.

PS: the connector could also be used for the steppers :)

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

I just ordered 4 sets of the connectors and a 4-way fan controller :)

With a dual extruder setup there are limitations to fan control through Ramps and the 4-way controller was cheap so I thought way not ;)

satoer

Post by satoer »

12V or 250V doesn’t matter. 3 Ampere = 3 Ampere. If you lower the voltage, the amount of power lowers also. P = U x I. With 12V the amount of maximum power equals 12V x 3A = 36 watt max.
So, you have to measure the current trough the cable to be sure the connector won’t be fried.
In my opinion you should use this connector just for the steppers and thermistor. Use deans for the heater connector. (these are rated 40A)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pair-T-Plug-T ... 337c2ede6e

But, I haven’t measured the current, so you may be save below the 3 Amp…
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Trnquill

Post by Trnquill »

Kjetilei wrote:To my understanding the connector is rated at 3 ampere at 250 volts (750 watt) and should be usable, but I'm definitely not an expert!
You don't rate connectors (or cables or ...) for power but current and voltage. If the connector is rated for 3 amperes, that's all it can handle at any given voltage. And same goes for voltage, it is independent of the current. If more power is needed, people usually bump up the voltage to keep current low. Low current means less heat (in the cables, connectors and electronics) and less heat means less waisted energy.

If your heater runs off 250 volts (I guess it doesn't) and has power of less than 750 watts, then the 3 ampere rated connectors will be just fine. But if (for example) your heater runs off 12 volts and has more than 36 watts (12V * 3A = 36W) the 3 ampere connector is not enough.

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Houston, we might have a problem ;)

Thanks for the input!

I had a hunch that it might not be as easy as I hoped and have a backup plan. I also bought 5 pairs of 4mm bullet connectors that can be used for the heaters and then the JST connectors can be used for the stepper motors and the two hot end temperature sensors.

I believe the cartridge heaters are 40 watt. 12V*3A=36W. Maybe it is possible to use the JST connectors? I sure will monitor the heat from the connectors if I decide to try it out. Please let me know if it is a bad idea...

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

FWIW, I bought these: http://www.ebay.de/itm/280686085862?var ... 1439.l2649 and their 2pin variants for the heater/temp sensor, and so far it works fine for the hot-ends, despite the limited current capacity. Nothing has melted, yet.

Trnquill

Post by Trnquill »

Kjetilei wrote:I believe the cartridge heaters are 40 watt. 12V*3A=36W. Maybe it is possible to use the JST connectors?
They will be fine!

If you ever want to upgrade the connectors you might want to look into some battery connectors. For example EC3 might be good for the heater wires. For the thermistor you can use any connector 'cause there's virtually no current.

What would be cool, though, is one single connector to house all the wires going from the printer to the hot end. That is two thick leads for the heater, two smaller for the fan, four equal size for the stepper and two even smaller (or same size) for the thermistor. And maybe two more for some lighting or something... :) Or four more for other extruder, two more for other heater and two more for other thermistor...

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Yes the EC3 connectors should work fine. They can take a lot of abuse.

The yellow XT-60 connectors and the red HXT 4mm connectors, both from Hobbyking are other alternatives. I use both types with my R/C gear (I'm an old kid ;)).

Return to “Hacks and printer upgrades”