Curled walls

Trnquill

Curled walls

Post by Trnquill »

I'm having a strange problem with my prints. It started just fes days ago and has bothered every print more or less. Walls of prints are here and there culred. It looks like the filament has waves and start to separate from the part. Overhangs are the worst but this occurs in smooth straight up walls, too. It's not constant but comes and goes throughout the print. What might cause this?

I have tried several different temperatures but that doesn't help. The X & Y belts and extruder tightener are tight and none of the stepper motors are loosing steps. As said, I have printed beautiful objects with the 100% settings and 100% same filament before, this problem just occured some time ago and doesn't seem to go away no matter what!

Trnquill

Post by Trnquill »

Here's some pictures of one batch I just recently printed. You can see the walls sagging here and there, looks quite bad: http://fotoni.org/kuvat/1211113dproblems/

Please note the top of base plate in part C (best visible in the last picture). The extruded filament is so thin the result looks almost like a cob web! As you can see, part A is the best, then comes part B and finally part C. To me it looks like any part sitting furthest away from the Z rail is always the worst.

Just as a proof the printer has not been like that always: http://fotoni.org/kuvat/1211043dtulosteita/

I tried cleaning up the hot end using the "insert some filament manually, then push away really quick" method but with no luck. I tried printing after this but couldn't have even one layer printed correctly: the extruded filament stuck to hot end nozzle and was constantly pulled away from the heated bed. After this I poked the hot end nozzle from below with some 0,3mm steel wire and wiped the hot end nozzle perimeter with a wet cloth. As result of these actions I managed to get better flow with and extruded filament was not sticking around the nozzle any more. I also re-leveled the heated bed. Let's see if this tuning helps any!

Trnquill

Post by Trnquill »

Ok, looks like cleaning the nozzle helped! Nice prints again. :)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Great to hear you solved the problem :)...How did you clean it?

Trnquill

Post by Trnquill »

First I did according to instructions found from this forum and used a ~30cm piece of filament pushing it in and rapidly out again for the whole section of filament. This didn't help. Then I searched my parts bin until I found a piece of electrical wire with one solid conductor with diameter less than 0,35mm (0,3mm). I used tweezers to guide it up the nozzle (hot end was 210 degrees) many times. I honed it back and forth some time, changed to clean piece of wire and repeated. After that I did the "insert & pull away filament" trick once more and got clean results.

I'm going to buy some 0,3mm drill bits for cleaning the head. But first I have to somehow repair the filament tensioner. Currently I can not use the printer at all and have no good idea how to remove the tensioner bolt to even continue with repairing the tensioner.