Photogrammetry with Autodesk 123dcatch

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Legion 2.3

Photogrammetry with Autodesk 123dcatch

Post by Legion 2.3 »

I discovered a great way to get 3d-models from real-worlds objects.
The magic word is "photogrammetry".

Autodesk launched a service for that for free. They call it 123dcatch: http://apps.123dapp.com/catch/

You take pictures of an object from many angles (you should have 20 - 40 pics). The object you capture shouldn´t move while you take the pictures.
Then you have to upload them to their web - service and they calculate a 3-dimensional textured file via cloud computing that can be modified and downloaded AND PRINTED!

I use the program "Meshmixer" for post processing, it´s also from autodesk and also free.

Here are my results:
My head´s being printed
My head´s being printed
20140629_124237.jpg
20140629_124224.jpg
(Sliced with Simplify3d)

I think that´s a really great way to capture objects 3-dimensional without using 3d-scanners which aren´t cheap.

What do you think?

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

It is quite amazing what we can do with our phones today, and this app is even free, but...

I've tried it and the resolution is quite poor, you cannot really use the mesh to build other parts that would fit nicely with the one you scanned, unless a few mm off here and there is all what you need. I also tried the Carmine 1.09 scannet from Primesense, better resolution but still not sub 100 microns.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Legion 2.3

Post by Legion 2.3 »

You can´t compare this software with hardware-3d-scanners.

I mean: it´s a free software, you only need some good pics. If you have high resolution pictures from enough angles, the results are quite accurate, of course not as accurate as a 3d-scanner would do, but i think it´s usable.
And you have the big advantage that you can "scan" really huge objects, such as buildings or statues, something that you can´t do with small handy scanners.

questpact

Post by questpact »

I've used 123D catch before with my students scanned and printed a head worked really well. How do you like the Simplify3d slicer? I've been using KisSlicer I find it a lot easier to control the supports with it.

Legion 2.3

Post by Legion 2.3 »

Simplify3d is basically a great slicer, but it still has some major flaws and some bugs.

The software generates quite clean and logic G-Code with far less unnecessary rapid travel moves than Slic3r does.

The worst thing is that they only offer one single infill pattern (line infill) which is the fastest but weakest infill. There is no rectangular, no honeycomb, no cirular infill, only line.

Some minor bugs:
Dual extrusion with 2 processes is a bit buggy. When you add more than 1 temperature for the nozzle (e.g. 200 °C for layer 1 and 180 °C for layer 2), it almost entirely uses only 1 extruder, no matter what you´ve set up. And even if you don´t do this, the 2nd layer (and only the 2nd) will be printed entirely with 1 extruder.

I also had a problem with printing 2 objects with 2 seperate processes: After the 2nd layer, when the printer started to print object nr. 2, it retracted about 15 mm of filament, so almost the entire layer was empty. It looks like S3d just forgot zeroing the extrusion distance for the 2nd process.

It also has some problems with thin walled objects, the perimeters are always generated pair wise (inside and outside perimeter), so if your model has a wall thickness of 0,5 mm and you´ve set up an extrusion weidth of 0,42 mm, S3d generates 2 perimeters so you´ll get a 0,84 mm wall.

Some other things I miss are more settings, you can only set one printing speed and an underspeed for the outer perimeters and support, you can´t set the infill speed seperately.

But concluding, Simplify3d offers the cleanest G-code (compared to Skeinforge and Slic3r) and it´s the fastest software, the surfaces of printed objects are great. But there is still alot of work to do for the developers.