2.0 Extruder Housing Warped

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

cbensch

2.0 Extruder Housing Warped

Post by cbensch »

Hi everyone - I have a problem with my 2.0 and I'm wondering if anyone else sees anything similar. I've had it since January and it has been used a lot. The last few weeks I've noticed that the extruder is no longer upright. I let it cool entirely and put a little force on it to see how stable it was and found I couldn't not only twist it but could also wiggle it back and forth. I tightened it down as much as I could without breaking the plastic housing and it's still loose. :roll: It seems as though the heat over time has warped the plastic.

Questions:
1) Anyone else have a similar issue?
2) Is there a way to get the stl file so I can print the new x-axis housing piece and locking arm?

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Did you print ABS with bed temp above 80 C ?

Mine deformed as well, now using casing of Felix 3.0
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

Nope - PLA bed temp at 70.

How did you get the casing for the 3.0? And does it retrofit for the 2.0 with single extruder?

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

Found the stl files for the printed parts so I can just reprint them. Anyone else need new parts you may find them here: http://shop.felixprinters.com/downloads ... int_files/

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

cbensch wrote:Nope - PLA bed temp at 70.

How did you get the casing for the 3.0?

And does it retrofit for the 2.0 with single extruder?
http://shop.felixprinters.com/product-c ... 7roVY2SzXc

yes,
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

Thanks.

By the way I was able to take the x-axis pieces apart. I found that the Extru_base_v10_F2_0.stl file from the above link was the culprit. It had warped downwards more than 10 degrees. I simply placed it on my steel workbench and put a hair dryer to it until it was flat again. No re-printing necessary. :D This is the part:
Attachments
Warped Part.jpg

agentmulder

Post by agentmulder »

My 2.0 extruder was also loose in its housing.

It'd be pushed up if it touched the bed or a part until the fan funnel thing was lower than it... obviously no good.

I solved it by putting a small shim of aluminium in the area that the PLA parts clamp to the middle of the extruder.

Since then however I've started ABS and hot bed temps and the fan funnel part droops with the heat anyway! printed a new one in ABS.. working again for the time being.

Seems like the printer is always a work in progress - I'm ok with that I guess - but I hesitate to recommend it others looking for a set and forget machine. :(