Firmware unresponsive after 36h of printing

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
vandevyver

Firmware unresponsive after 36h of printing

Post by vandevyver »

Hi All,

I am working on a larger project.
I started a print on the Felix 3 (repetier 0.91)

After 36 hours of printing (3/4 of the print done) the firmware became unresponsive.

Is this typical? Known bug?
any solution?

This is a real bummer. :(

Kind regards
Luc
Luc Van de Vyver
Jabberwocky

Legion 2.3

Post by Legion 2.3 »

Hi Luc

- Are you printing from an SD-card or with a connected computer?

- What exactly do you mean with "unresponsive"? Did it stop the print and no reaction to any input? Screen frozen?

- Which slicer did you use? Maybe it´s something wrong in the code.

- Do you have the latest Firmware installed? Do you have a V2.1 or V3.0 board?

- I heard of some people who had problems when switching on the light (voltage peaks), which also caused an error.

You can try to print it again at "dry mode" (no filament extruded, only XYZ-movement). So you can see if it´s repeatable.

The largest print a had took about 25h, no problem until now. I didn´t heard of it somewhere else.

vandevyver

Post by vandevyver »

Legion 2.3 wrote:Hi Luc

- Are you printing from an SD-card or with a connected computer?

>> connected on Mac using USB

- What exactly do you mean with "unresponsive"? Did it stop the print and no reaction to any input? Screen frozen?

>> printing stopped. Communication screen (Simplify3D) showed message : unresponsive.
>> no more communication happened.
>> tried to unconnected/reconnect in vain
>> printer stayed frozen until power off/on

- Which slicer did you use? Maybe it´s something wrong in the code.
>> Simplify3D.
>> it did run fine for 36 hours.
>> never had this problem before

- Do you have the latest Firmware installed? Do you have a V2.1 or V3.0 board?
>> I have a 3.0 board, with software 0.91 (repeater)

- I heard of some people who had problems when switching on the light (voltage peaks), which also caused an error.
>> that happened some months ago. But the result was a reboot of the printer.
>> now is was just a 'hang'

You can try to print it again at "dry mode" (no filament extruded, only XYZ-movement). So you can see if it´s repeatable.
>> yes, but it takes ... 36 hours

The largest print a had took about 25h, no problem until now. I didn´t heard of it somewhere else.
Luc Van de Vyver
Jabberwocky

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

Hard to debug, if the duration of the print is really the culprit here.
For such long prints it might be worthwhile trying to resume the print (http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=164), but this seems to be tricky and I would suggest you to get some training on the procedure with some test prints.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

Another thought. If you haven't done already, you could ask around in the Simplify3D and Repetier forums (or Marlin, if you are using Marlin firmware), if others have managed to print any longer and if the software developers could think of any timer or counter variables which overflow after such rather long time. In this case, I guess, it would be the printing time which matters, but it also could be the up-time of the printer or the Simplify3D program. Printing from the SD card would narrow down the problem to the firmware (likely so, at least), assuming that the problem is caused by firmware/software and not just by an electrical glitch.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

jefstaes

Post by jefstaes »

Did you switch of the lights in the room? ... Maybe stupid question ... but sometimes when I do this ... the printer freezes ...

vandevyver

Post by vandevyver »

@JefStaes
I noticed in the past that indeed the printer freezes when a 'glitch' occurs on the 220v net.

Maybe this explains it; but then comes the question : how to prevent it?
Connect it to a UPS?

This was not funny http://forum.felixprinters.com/posting. ... f=5&t=1010#

@Legion
I was printing over USB.
The Simplify SW still ran fine. It just said that the printer was not responding anymore

Thank you all, but if useful tips are found, please drop them here.
Luc Van de Vyver
Jabberwocky