Z-Motor Question : Hopefully someone can help

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

J.-

Z-Motor Question : Hopefully someone can help

Post by J.- »

Is there a reason why my z motor would function if i give it a Down Command but Does NOT function if i give it an Up Command? i can feel the motor struggling/functioning. I tested it with the load off and it seems to function. So i think the motor may have been damaged when i was adjusting my Z-Opto.

At one point it hit its max and (Its max is when it hit the X motor) .. i may left it a few seconds before noticing my opto had been bumped out of place and was still running the z-motor.

i am really hoping that someone may have ran into something similar. at first i noticed that it would function after the incident but only within 2 inches from its z-home. I lowered the plate to grease the run BUT i realized that it may be the motor after it no longer returns to z-home.

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

After having switched off the motors (or the printer) you should be able to turn the Z spindle manually (with ease, i.e., like with two fingers). If you can not or if it gets stuck at certain points (e.g., after the 2 inches you mentioned), it is not the motor (which is not very likely anyway).
Normally, with a fully assembled printer, the Z carriage would never hit the X motor as the bed would hit the extruders first, so I don't know how you managed to have it hit the X motor. If it really did, then the Z cart might have partly run off the end of rail and it might have lost some balls in the process, especially given that it must have been jolted quite hard when hitting the top. You may want to turn the bed down and then lift the carriage up in order to release the spindle nut from its recess; then, without the bed arm being connected to the spindle anymore, you can easily check whether the cart is running smoothly on the rail.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

J.-

Post by J.- »

Thanks for your response;
I am able to move the spindle freely. I have the Felix 1.0 Ver D if it helps.
From what i can see is that the Motors do seem a bit "Big/Tall" since the z-motor extends a bit from the frame and the bottom of the X-Motor is bumped before hitting the extruder. (i will see if i can take pics when @ home)

:One note is that i did not build this from scratch as it was passed on to me from a friend:
* i wish i would have

"You may want to turn the bed down and then lift the carriage up in order to release the spindle nut from its recess; then, without the bed arm being connected to the spindle anymore, you can easily check whether the cart is running smoothly on the rail."
When i lift the carriage off and take the weight off of the spindle i can see it moves a bit more freely but after a few tests it acts the same.

So far, i am able to print if i move the spindle by hand to its z-home (since printing only requires downward motion and slight upward). The motor will step up lightly to 1 or 2 steps but wont go further than that.

J.-

Post by J.- »

I havent been able to get some pictures but i was looking for a replacement stepper to see if it is the motor. I called a local electronics and they say they have one but it is a 1.5amp instead of the 2.5 that comes with it. Could anyone confirm if this would conflict or give me negative results?

Makron

Post by Makron »

it will work , you dont use the full 2.5 now anyway the stepperdrivers dont even go to 2,5 amp.