Dual printer problems

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

instasquid

Dual printer problems

Post by instasquid »

Not sure if this is the section for this post as there is no area to discuss printing in general.

At the moment I am learning to use my Felix 3.0 dual extrusion model, but I keep having a problem best demonstrated by this picture...

If the head that is not in use isn't destroying the print [I guess this is an extruder height issue?] then it's leaving little bits of sludge all over the print.

I'm currently using Cura to slice and print with. Any thoughts on settings I can change to get this to happen or anything else I'm forgetting?

Thanks!

viljmak

Post by viljmak »

Can't see anything from picture, it's so small. Check also material quantity, might be there is too much material coming and printing is high for another nozzle.

KISSlicer Pro works best for me (PA+PVA). Possible to backtrack not used filament on extruder change, cool down not used extruder and clean nozzle on Prime Pillar before use.
Filament has to be dry, water steam pressure push blobs from nozzle.

Felix extruder construction is not good because max. useful filament backtrack is about 2-3mm. If more, filament will stick on PEEK. Going to test PTFE insert discussed on these websites, hope this will make possible to use longer backtrack on extruder change.

instasquid

Post by instasquid »

Ah, I didn't realise the photo was so small. Here's a link to a bigger version:

Thanks for the ideas. I'll check out KISSSlicer Pro and the filament retraction settings next.

kerog

Post by kerog »

It's also really important to make sure the two heads are completely even. I had trouble with vertical motion of the heads until I used some copper wire wrapped between the top of the peek part and the bottom of the extruder cassette.

See this post: http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopi ... #p6311[url][/url]

viljmak

Post by viljmak »

I had to replace also two separate nut with solid bar to avoid nuts rotating inside plastic parts. 2x6.5x40 bar with 2 pieces M4 thread in 32 mm distance. Possible to fix extruders tighter and also helps to keep plastic parts better together.
Felix should already make like this, two separate nut is really childish solution in this kind of place. (Even that I like this printer)

instasquid

Post by instasquid »

Good tips, thanks guys. I'll hunt down some copy wire asap.

TintoLee

Post by TintoLee »

Also, this. Fixing the extrusion problems that we have will most likely also fix problems for dual-extrusion. So that's what we are focusing on, fixing the current issues first.