Felix 3.0 Step 21 Z-Axis Lift Part doesn't fit (solved)

Help eachother out with assembly problems.
Post Reply
michael.ecker
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Felix 3.0 Step 21 Z-Axis Lift Part doesn't fit (solved)

Post by michael.ecker »

Hi...

I cannot mount the Z-Axis Lift part onto the linear ball bearing. If I apply some force I can fit the side that has the ball bearings attached... but the other one -> no way without risk breaking something

Here's a picture so you can see what i mean:

https://www.evernote.com/l/ADulfz_gJN5J ... 45D4fJ8oQs

I could shave off some material from the Z-Axis part to make it fit... but before I do that I would like to confirm that there's not something that i missed.

Thanks,

Mike

Update: "Inpatient me" just couldn't wait... so I did shave off some material and it now fits like a glove... ;-)

emdash
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:59 pm

Post by emdash »

I am having the same issue. If you have some pictures of how you modified the part, I would appreciate it. Did you have any subsequent assembly issues after this?

featherless
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:13 pm

Post by featherless »

I was able to get mine mounted by using a lot of force. Thought I was going to break it, but it ended up snapping into place pretty satisfyingly. Started with the side that fits easily and then lowered the snug side down, applied a ton of force and then pop! It was attached.

jjlink
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:45 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by jjlink »

featherless wrote:I was able to get mine mounted by using a lot of force. Thought I was going to break it, but it ended up snapping into place pretty satisfyingly. Started with the side that fits easily and then lowered the snug side down, applied a ton of force and then pop! It was attached.
I had pretty much the same experience. It will fit you just have to be persistent.
Felix 3.0 with E3D Dual direct drive extruder conversion. (http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1630)
Software: simplify3d

daveinhull
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:31 am

Post by daveinhull »

Hi,

Same problem, but mine was so bad I had to take it down the garage and work at it for about an hour until I could get it to fit. It looks like it was bent during the manufacturing process.
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (736.71 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Dave

mpvarrenti
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:26 pm

Post by mpvarrenti »

Hi, all.

Appreciate that this has been solved but wanted to share my experience in the hope it will be as useful to others as the previous posts were to me.

Also had great trouble fitting this part. Felt so sure that I would break something if I forced the part too hard. On inspection assumed that there had been some defect in manufacture. One end was found to be approx. 1.3 mm than the other (see images below.)

After reading the posts here and feeling more confident, I tried again - this time applying a significant portion of my body weight through rigid arms. The piece popped on with such ease that I wondered how I'd had trouble with it in the first place.

Image
Image

berfel
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:17 am

Post by berfel »

The molding seems to have shrunk/distorted during the manufacturing process. Here's a scan of the seating face using a flat-bed scanner. The curve/taper towards the open end is clearly visible.
Image

I just checked the load rating on the linear bearing and it's around 16 kN — I would think when evenly loaded.

Encouraged by the report here and the knowledge that I could stand on the bearing without damage (to the bearing!), I applied some silicone oil to the interfering faces on the molding, put the frame on the floor, positioned the piece ofver the bearing and pushed directly down.

It went on quite easily compared to the effort that wasn't sufficient last night! Perhaps due to the lubrication.

Now it's time to screw it up properly — erm — put in the screws to hold it.

Post Reply