Dual extruder settings for PLA + PVA anyone?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

paleajed

Dual extruder settings for PLA + PVA anyone?

Post by paleajed »

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience printing in PLA using PVA as second extruder support material. Im extremely interested in any information that would allow me to get a clean print without ooze pollution... Currently I am using CuraEngine as slicer which does not allow (yet) to set a material for the ooze shield, so it would use PVA, which is really to flexible to be used for this purpose. Also PLA and PVA dont seem to connect very well, any settings for this (overlap?)?. Then theres retraction when switching extruders, Ive seen suggestions all over the Internet going from 5 to 16mm, anyone know good settings for PLA and PVA on the Felix 3.0? Any other tricks or even complete CuraEngine settings (or settings for any other slicer) would be EXTREMELY welcome :idea:. I just need clean dual extruder settings for this cause I cant handle ooze in my current experiments, ending up with unclean objects.

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

I can point only to Kisslicer which can generate a wall or pillar. I use it to generate PLA/PVA prints and it worked so far. p.s.: you also can use extruder change code in Kiss which allows you to retract/extract on unused extruder, it also allows you to decrease temperature on unused extruder.

paleajed

Post by paleajed »

I cant find the wall setting in Kisslicer, or the settings to retract on unused extruder or to decrease temp on unused extruder. Help!

viljmak

Post by viljmak »

I prefer Prime Pillar before wall. Pillar selection is on the "Support" page. Latest versions of KISS (picture from 1.5 beta 1.14) there is possible to set the size of pillar on "Inflate Raft/Prime Cap" it's good to have pillar diameter little bigger than distance between nozzles.
Prime pillar position seems to be random, not possible to positioned as wanted. To avoid nozzle going over part on nozzle change the cooling/heating position should be set according the position of pillar.

"G-code page Select Extruder" could be like that
; Select new extruder
T<EXT+0>
;Extruder waiting position, change that as needed to get a pillar between.
G1 X80 Y200 F8000
; Warm it up, and wait till it's warm
M109 S<TEMP>
; flush a little
G92 E0
; flush filament 10 mm at low speed
G1 E10 F200
G92 E0

"G-code page Deselect Extruder" could be like that
; Deselect the extruder (usually to cool)
G92 E0
; retract filament 10 mm
G1 E-10 F8000
G92 E0
M104 S<TEMP>

For PVA "Keep warm" temperature 100 deg. works quite well. I use 10 mm retract but standard Felix extruder block out often with this long retract (2 mm is safer). PLA "keep warm" temp should be low enough PVA has time to cool before PLA start. Printing is slow on that way but no oozing.
Attachments
Pillar.jpg

livingstereo1991

Post by livingstereo1991 »

Hi viljmak

Where do you get the Kisslicer 1.5 with a Felix profile ? The download section from Felix seems to be the same 1.4.5.

Thanks

viljmak

Post by viljmak »

KISS beta versions will come here. In one message on that page is the latest (beta) version. Numbering seems to be little confusing. For Felix profile copy *.ini files from older version directory to directory you have the newest version. Fortunately ini-files have not changed between versions.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 0-false%5D

(You have to sign in before you'll see messages)

livingstereo1991

Post by livingstereo1991 »

Thanks Viljmak, I will try.