Stepper not working-connector? Electrical board?

General discussions regarding hardware
Caliprint

Stepper not working-connector? Electrical board?

Post by Caliprint »

The stepper motor stopped working the other day (I've upgrade my firmare and it was working fine for a bit).

It's not the motor:
I switched the connector (attached the wires for the stepper motor to the z-axis connector) and it worked. So the motor is fine.

BUT
This is a single extruder printer. I tried switching the connector to the other extruder connector and telling the software to use that one. The stepper again didn't respond.

Is it firmware?
I tried reinstalling old firmware, it still didn't work.
I tried installing the updated firmware again, it didn't work.

The electrical board?
When I click the manual control in the software to move the stepper, an LED on the electrical board lights up (so the signal is getting there??) but the stepper doesn't respond.

Since it works when I switch it to the Z-axis connector, I guess the problem isn't the motor or the wires.

But BOTH extruder connectors don't work now??

What could this be? What should I replace? What else to test??

Thank you!!

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

How does stepper NOT work?
I had to replace stepper because it made just 'tok-tok-tok-...' instead moving.
This was indication that one cable or stepper coil is broken.

p.s.: Normal board looks for temperature of ~140° before stepper on extruder can work.
If you switch on printer and use direct control there in menu position you can move stepper without heating extruder.

Caliprint

Post by Caliprint »

Thanks for the the reply. By 'not working" I mean that it doesn't respond at all--no movement or noise or anything--when connected to the electrical board in the place where it is supposed to be. When attached to the Z-axis connector, it responds. Just to be clear (in case I have the part name incorrect), This is the motor that pulls that filament through the extruder. The heating elements all seem fine and are heating, but the motor doesn't pull the extruder through.

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

Ok, so it seems not to be the motor itself but either the board or some setting for the extruder motor.

I use Repetier 0.91 and the SW does not engage the motor unless the temperature of the nozzle is >~140°.
If you use menue on directly you could move it in position-extruder menu without heating up the extruder (sometime I need to reset printer before this works).

So did you test it with this menu?

If it worked previousely and you did not change any SW or settings in between then most probably the driver on the board is gone :cry:

sajjad123

Post by sajjad123 »

Looks like the peek parts is broken melted or you tightend it to much so the threat came out. Contact felix for a new one
Worried about cisco ccna certification exam & comptia network+a plus training We offer up-to-dated bu.edu practice questions and www.smith.edu dumps with Maryland Institute College of Art