Heater Decoupled since updating to latest firmware

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

DDME-Marc

Re: Heater Decoupled since updating to latest firmware

Post by DDME-Marc »

Hi Guido,

For the time being just reinstall the previous version of firmware if you need to get a project completed. Then have a search through the forums as the decoupling topic has been heavily discussed.

Just make sure you adjust the EEPROM MODE to a new number (for example, increase the existing number by 1 or more) before you upload. You can find this in the Configuration H file of the firmware, under the miscellaneous section.
eeprom_mode.jpg
Cheers,

Marc
Felix 3.0 Dual Head * E3D Titan V6 * Repetier-Host V2.1.3 * Repetier-Firmware 0.92.9 (01/08/17 - Modified) * KISSlicer Pro - 1.6.3 * Arduino 1.8.5 *

guidoforrier

Post by guidoforrier »

thanks, i suppose this is the best solution at this moment and i will adjust the EEPROM mode .
regards ,
guido

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

NikolaiD wrote:For PID values, I ran the auto tune and just plugged those values in. P=5.97, I=0.3, D=29.58. Been using those for a long time now. Thoughts?
These values are rather conservative and will make a rather slow temp control, less sensitive to short term temp changes (including noise and erratic temp readings) and absolute temp errors but also relatively slow in responding to changing operating conditions. This, however, is not really consistent with your first screen shot. Even though the temp deviations are small there, the output power shows strong variations that speak for a more aggressive PID setting. Other than that, such strong variations are not necessarily an indication that something is wrong.
Regarding the conservative PID settings, it could be that, if all comes together (increased extrusion, e.g. for doing an infill, plus a fan that just has been switched on), the temp control is too slow in counteracting the temp drop by commanding enough output power.
NikolaiD wrote:When I first got a fan going, I was able to print again. When I added a heatsink on the MOSFET, the extruder output graph flattened out.
Hard to comment on that without having the output power plot for when the decoupling event happened.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

Lizzy Design

Post by Lizzy Design »

I am at a loss here. Whatever PID values I put in the chances my print will finish are at this point about 25%. 75% of all my prints fail. It fails at random. Some at the beginging, some half way through and some near the end. You have no idea how much waist I have gadered so far. It is starting to cost me a fortune on filament, so much so that I stopped printing all toghether. It is taking so much time and energy out of me. Anyone intersted in making an offer on a half working machine?

Boris

Post by Boris »

Absolutely same situation as Olce and Lizzy Design got ;(

Printer is "prining" without thread feed, "def" on LCD screen, no heating of hotends and bed.
It can be anytime of printing process.

My dealer suggest to replace thermistor first, then reload firmware.
So, I'll try NikolaiD method first, fix firmware as it shown at page 1 and replace thermister as final attempt.

Update: NikolaiD method didn't work. There is fail at very begining. The mentioned chip was cold as freezer :(
Attachments
fault.jpg
Felix 3.0 x2 extruders

kerog

Post by kerog »

Lizzy Design wrote:I am at a loss here. Whatever PID values I put in the chances my print will finish are at this point about 25%. 75% of all my prints fail. It fails at random. Some at the beginging, some half way through and some near the end. You have no idea how much waist I have gadered so far. It is starting to cost me a fortune on filament, so much so that I stopped printing all toghether. It is taking so much time and energy out of me. Anyone intersted in making an offer on a half working machine?
Lizzy have you considered going back to the old 0.91 firmware? If you think your thermistor is working OK, there isn't that much reason to go through the hassle of dealing with the 0.92 version. People used the earlier firmware successfully for a long time. I'm still using it, as I've been shy of the upgrade after a number of failed prints. Haven't tried 0.92 with updated PID values, but haven't seen a compelling reason to leave 0.91 either.

NikolaiD

Post by NikolaiD »

Boris wrote:Printer is "prining" without thread feed, "def" on LCD screen, no heating of hotends and bed.
It can be anytime of printing process.

My dealer suggest to replace thermistor first, then reload firmware.
Down on top of the log box, select "Errors", so you can see a bit more about why it's decoupling.
The second time mine started decoupling a nice cleaning of the hot end fixed it. I have ~150 hours on it since the last problem. Also, make sure that the thermistor didn't get loose. It seems to do that every once in a while with the vibrations and heat changes.

Boris

Post by Boris »

Well, it seems back to 0.91 fixed everything. The temp curve is very smooth with no climbs and fatal falls.

I've tried firmware (11-11-14) with PID 20 0.2 75 and many PIDs recommended by DDME-Marc.
The curve is much better than original from last firmware but it fails with decoupling.

P.S. Thank you, NikolaiD. I didn't know how debugging mode works. Try it if something wrong will happen again.
Felix 3.0 x2 extruders

Lizzy Design

Post by Lizzy Design »

So as suggested, I went back to 0.91 (thx Kerog) and my first 2 hour print cleared. So fingers crossed, let's hope this holds up. I'll keep you posted. Cheers for the help everyone.

Update: so some 10 prints have finished without errors now. Seems like 0.91 was the answer for me. I'll stick with it for awhile I think..... :)

titchy

Post by titchy »

I have issues with 0.92.2 firmware (uploaded using arduino 1.6.0), using v3 Felix electronics. Printer only does one print run before everything becomes unresponsive - no heaters no motors. Occasionally get the heater decouple issue when heating bed only.
Reinstall everything works sometimes, but only for one print.
I have tried different firmwares and nothing works, but not sure which RepHost I should use, I'm trying 1.0.5.
I have wasted weeks struggling with latest update.
What RepHost version are people using 0.91 firmware with?? Please help!