First layer "bubbling up" any hints?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

markm

First layer "bubbling up" any hints?

Post by markm »

Hi,
My first layer is "bubbling up", particularly where there is a large flat area (see attached photo). Some areas do this and some don't. I'm using PLA, extruder:190'C, bed:55'C in quite a cold room. New kapton tape on the bed. Didn't have this problem before I tried using ABS, but I've cleaned the extruder, re-leveled the bed, etc. All suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Mark
IMG_20141026_084931.jpg

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

Calibrate the Z-axis

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

I know the exact fix:

1) You're not printing hot enough. With your extruder hanging off your bed go ahead and heat it to 200. Every PLA is different but here is the rule of thumb; increase your filament temps by 5 degrees until you start to hear your PLA "pop" out of the extruder. You're then at your PLA's "boiling" temperature. This is where it is really gooey and sticky. This is the temperature for your first layer. Your subsequent layers should be 185-195 depending on the PLA you're using. I'm at 215 (layer 1) for this black PLA I'm using right now and 185 for layers 2+. The tan PLA I also use goes down at 225 (layer 1) with subsequent layers at 185.

2) Your first layer should be .3mm. If you're printing a draft your subsequent layers can also be .3mm. Fine layers should be between .1mm and .15mm. But that thick gooey first layer is very important.

3) Your z-axis adjustment is also crucial. When you drop your extruder onto your bed place a piece of standard computer paper under it. It should just grab the paper when you try to pull it out. If the paper tears you're too low. If the paper slides back and forth easily you're too high.

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

The previous writer has poured a lot of water in the text. Simply calibrate the Z axis. In your case it should just reduce the gap between the nozzle and the table. I tell you this as a man completely changed by this printer is up to no recognition. From Felix 2.0 to Felix 3.0 of its development. My printer hot end of my development. All the x-axis has undergone a complete makeover. Modified vane axis Z. the Modified firmware.

Saamec

Post by Saamec »

http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=941
Here is a photo of my printer and what he can do.

seaton

Post by seaton »

Bubbling can also be down to the print head being too close to the bed. I take a little bit of fiddling to get it down pat.
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Remember you can manually adjust the Z axis while printing, just grab the Z axial screw and turn it clockwise or CCW.

I do this each time my printer starts the first layer.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

Saamec wrote:The previous writer has poured a lot of water in the text. Simply calibrate the Z axis. In your case it should just reduce the gap between the nozzle and the table. I tell you this as a man completely changed by this printer is up to no recognition. From Felix 2.0 to Felix 3.0 of its development. My printer hot end of my development. All the x-axis has undergone a complete makeover. Modified vane axis Z. the Modified firmware.
Markm do as you please, but you'll find my input helpful.

killejano

Post by killejano »

I know what this is. You are over extruding in comparing to your z-hight. Calibrate your z endstop for more room or reduce extrudin for the firt layer. Try turning the flowrate to about 70% and it should work.

When I did some large 250x250 prints with flat bottom I sectioned the bottom to stripes and anjusted the flow rate to compensate for an uneven print bed. Funny thin about this is I could do this at 300% speed just fine.

Makron

Post by Makron »

Removed some of the posts.

Be nice and on topic plz.