Stuttering Extruder

Discussions about mechanics
3dwim

Stuttering Extruder

Post by 3dwim »

Hi,

One of my extruders (the first one on a Felix 3.0) is "stuttering", it receives current but apparantly not enough to make the spindle rotate. I've disassembled the hot-end, had the extruder warm up and had a look at the spindle. It is trembling there and back but never completing a single step. When powered down I can rotate the spindle manually without any problems. The same when doing a retract.

I've read this could be a power problem so I opened up the electronics cage to turn the dial of the potentiometer, but that doesn't help. Turning it to one side reduces the noise and eventually it stops completly (because of too little power), turning it to the other direction increases the noise but doesn't give enough power to get it going.

Is this the end of the stepping motor? Suggestions?

Regards,
Wim.

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

My guess: broken wires (of the extruder motor) or wires became loose at the PCB.
See also http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=858 or http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=734.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

3dwim

Post by 3dwim »

What I (finally) did:
- I couldn't find a problem on the extruding motor, I couldn't get the top or bottom off while assembled
- also no (apparent) problems on the connection on the PVB
- but when I uncouipled the motor from the PCB and measured the resistance between the different wires, I found the resistance between red and blue about 1.7 Ohm and all other combinations infinite
- I ordered a new Wantal motor (via Felix), same type, checked the resistance from that new one, that gave me red-blue 1.8 Ohm and black-green 1.9 Ohm, that matches the electrical diagram as published on the Wantal web-site
- connected this new motor to the PCB on the pins of my original extruder motor, heated the extruder and tested it with some extruding/retracting commands, that worked
- replaced the extruder motor, put the potentiometer in the original orientation, and I could use my first extruder again, great!

After having the old extruder motor in my hand I could apply some more force and better equipment to it so I managed to loosen the top and bottom parts. But the wires seem intact, moved them around a little with my Ohm meter connected but I couldn't find/see any other problem. Concentrating on the black-green combination, I tried to follow the wire. If it is broken, it is probably somewhere inside. Bad luck.

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

Before dumping the motor, you could try cutting the wire(s) short, but not too short, so that you still could solder new wires back on. Then check with the Ohm meter again whether you did cut away the bad wire(s).
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

3dwim

Post by 3dwim »

Thanks for the tip!
Wim.