Print Bed heat problem

Mikeee

Print Bed heat problem

Post by Mikeee »

I'm using the following firmware.

Marlin V1 for FELIX 1.0 RevE

The heat bed won't heat up to 60 degrees. It seems to stall at around 57 to 58 degrees. Check of the actual temperature with a temperature probe and it shows 65.8 degrees. So the only way I could get it to print was edit gcode to use 55 degrees instead of 60. When the software shows temperature is 55 the bed is actually 63.0 degrees. Does anyone have an idea what could cause this?

satoer

Post by satoer »

Probably a calibration-error on the thermistor. Doesn't matter, just print on the temperature that works fine. Is the room cold? If you want print on higher temperatures you can insulate the bottom of the print bed. (also the bed heats up way faster). Use ironing table foam / fabric.

If you really want spot-on calibrated temperatures, you can calibrate yourself:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Thermistor
Don't use a IR temperature sensor. These aren't reliable on shiny objects
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Mikeee

Post by Mikeee »

Thanks for the reply. It does seem strange that the gcode is requesting 60 degrees but the bed just never gets there it hovers around 57 degrees. The bed that I have is the thin aluminum sheet with the 4 resistor type heaters. Does the newer version of the print bed work a lot better?

As you suggested will print for now at lower temperatures and see how that works.

satoer

Post by satoer »

Yes the kapton heater works better. A more even heat distribution and you don't have these screw holes. I think you currently on the maximum power which the board / power supply can deliver. Look at the thermal graph in reporter host, is it giving full power constantly?
Like I said, you can insulate the bottom of the bed to reach higher temperatures.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Mikeee

Post by Mikeee »

I'm using ver 1.0.5 of Repetier Host and the bed output thermal graph just shows a blue line at 0. Does that mean the temperature is being controlled by the hardware and not the Repetier Host software? The Extruder Output shows activity as expected.