What happened with Make review?

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

kerog

What happened with Make review?

Post by kerog »

Anyone have insight into what happened with the Make review? I was expecting Felix to be rated a lot better. Any idea what they meant by "slipping"? Did they just get a bum machine or something?

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

Your inquiry caught my attention. I bought the 2.0 last year simply because of the excellent Make review. So I just bought the newest Make iPad edition and gave the 3.0 review on page 50 a once-over. Their testing machine was obviously dysfunctional in one way or another so the review would suffer naturally. The review states they had offset prints. I don't know exactly what they mean by that, but it notes issues with "Accuracy," "Bridging" and "Overhangs" in particular. It sure seems clear to me (IMO) that the review suffered simply due to the test machine having technical issues. Oddly, the review also notes that the reviewers had technical assistance regarding their problems from the "Felix Forum"...something about the diagnosis of their problems stemming from their stepper drivers; more than likely misaligned pot meters. I'd be curious to dig into the forum here a bit and see what the discussions were. Perhaps that will help decipher what exactly went wrong.

By no means does my 3.0 (via 2.0-3.0 conversion kit) have any issues whatsoever...in fact I'm very pleased with it and get high quality prints. I did with my 2.0 also but I wanted the molded plastic parts so they no longer warp after being exposed to PLA-sensitive temperatures from the bed.

If you were really curious about the review, you might want to reach out to both reviewers Matt Stultz and Yves Sinner directly at editor@makezine.com.

kerog

Post by kerog »

Here's something interesting. I finally got around to trying to print the Makerfaire Print-in-Place Robot and for the first time ever had problems with "slipping". When I sliced it with Slic3r, It would put down the first layer, then the whole thing would move over by a full centimeter on the 2nd layer. I resliced using KISSlicer, and it's fine: no slipping. Could they have encountered some sort of Slic3er bug?

emdash

Post by emdash »

When I first assembled my 3.0, I had some issues with the X-axis pulley coming loose. This was basically caused by the set screw backing out gradually. Eventually I was able to get the right torque on the set screw where it doesn't come loose like that. I wonder if that was the issue they had.