Unable to use print head 2

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

WayneC

Unable to use print head 2

Post by WayneC »

I am new to 3D printing. I have have had my single head Felix 3 for about two months, and until recently, it has worked great.

I just installed a second print head, and loaded the two head firmware. I have tried to print in this configuration, so far using only the first print head. Each time I print, the extruder motor stops during the job, never at the same point in the print, and the X,Y,Z motors continue operating normally. I have now reloaded the single head firmware, and everything works fine. Any help is appreciated.

kerog

Post by kerog »

Sounds like the new firmware heater decoupling issue. Which version of the firmware did you install? Are you seeing any error messages in your log or on your screen?

WayneC

Post by WayneC »

I downloaded the firmware file:
20141107 - FIRMWARE - Repetier 0.92 - FELIX_3_0_DUAL_extrusion

There are no errors displayed on the screen. I didn't realize that there is an error log. I will look for it.

I have read that there are some temperature PID loop tuning issues with the dual extruder firmware, but during the apparent decouple, the temperature readings continue to read 195.

Can you tell me if others are seeing a constant temperature reading (at setpoint) when the decoupling occurs?

WayneC

Post by WayneC »

Update: I've found more threads on the decoupling issue. I will search for answers there. Thanks for the information, kerog.

WayneC

Post by WayneC »

Update: I loaded the previous version (0.91) of the firmware, and everything works!

kerog

Post by kerog »

One word of warning, Wayne...

The new firmware heater decouple issue is there to address a very real danger. If your thermistor fails, you can get runaway heating which will melt your peek and potentially ruin your hot end (or at least parts of it). Several people have said that the Peek shouldn't be meltable, but I've had it happen twice now on different printers.

The latest was just last Friday. I heated up to 200C for PLA, looked away for a bit, and then had someone tell me it was smoking! The heater barrel had come completely off the Peek, which was ruined, all the while the temperature was reading a steady 200C on the LCD. I had noticed in an earlier print that the temperatures were fluctuating more than seemed reasonable, and had been meaning to install the latest firmware update for safety, but hadn't gotten around to it. Shame on me!

I think either of these incidents could have been prevented by using the new firmware, seeing that the thermistor was bad, and replacing it before things got out of hand. So if we can get decent settings to avoid false alarms, we should all be using it.