Poor printing quality

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

Phipso

Poor printing quality

Post by Phipso »

Hi everybody,
I'm a new user of the felix printer. I was thrilled about the printer at beginning. But now, my prints are very bad and i do not know what's the reason...
So I need your help!
I am sorry for my bad english, I am from germany. :|

kerog

Post by kerog »

Check your belt tension? Verify that the set screws for the belt stepper motors are tight? Verify you are getting smooth extrusion? Relating to the last point, make sure you have high-quality filament. If the filament diameter changes significantly in the roll, you could start off with good quality and then get much worse later.

-Keith

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

You're English seems fine. :)

I agree with kerog. Most definitely looks like a belt tension or pot meter setting issue. I'd look back at your instruction manual and make sure the pot meters are set correctly. I actually looked at the image backwards originally and had the setting mirrored when I first built my machine. :lol:

Try what kelog recommends first and see how the belt tightening and pot meter adjustments work for you. If that helped but didn't make it perfect for you, it also looks like a possible flow issue based on those little wrinkles at the bottom and your plastic spilling over the sides. There are a few ways to set that but I'd first try manually when you attempt to remake the print. In repetier host click on the manual control tab and move the flow rate down one single numerical value and watch your print. Give it a couple layers to see how it performs. If you're not happy then try to go down to 98 and so on and so forth. If it looks better you can then adjust the settings in your slicing profile. With slic3r that would be in repetier host. Click on the slicer tab. Then click on configuration. Give the settings window a moment to come up. Then click on the filament settings tab. At the top you'll see extrusion multiplier. If you're over-extruding you can drop that down to, say, .95 as a first start and leave the manual tab (the one you adjust before) flowrate at 100. It seems no matter what filament I use I always have to reduce my extrusion multiplier, otherwise my layers are too thick.

If you're using Slic3r take a look at this thread (the bottom) and see how your settings compare to mine. These settings seems to work really well for me (with PLA): http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1035

Phipso

Post by Phipso »

Many Thanks for the quick answers! I will try your tips.
Have a new problem now.
The filament is always stick to the nozzle.
Have created a video: http://youtu.be/ueWeCelf8zM
Already have converted all parameters. Temperature, speed, extrusion rate, height of the bed, layer height. But always the same result.

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

Phipso wrote:Have a new problem now.
The filament is always stick to the nozzle.
Well, the main problem is that it does not stick to the bed good enough.
The nozzle seems to be too far from the bed. What is the intended layer height?
Have you checked the bed position (distance between bed and nozzle) close to where you are printing (in case your bed is not level)? The usual check is with a piece of normal writing paper which should fit rather tightly between nozzle and bed (after homing Z). After this is done, the distance is about 0.1mm. You might want to enter this value (0.1mm) as "Z home pos" in the "Firmware EEPROM configuration" (reset the printer have having changed it). This way, if the slicer specifies Z=0.2 in the G-code, this actually will result in 0.2 and not in 0.3. If the slicer takes care of this extra Z offset already, then the EEPROM setting should be left alone, obviously.
Other than that, go for the usual suspects. Just for the 1st layer, reduce printing speed (15-25 mm/s tops), set the temperature higher (200°C or 205°C) and switch off the air duct fan.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

jjlink

Post by jjlink »

I am also a new user of the felix printer. Looking at the video I just had a similar failure. I solved it by checking what temperature other people were using for this brand of PLA. It turned out they were all recommending a higher temperature than I had been using. So I tried their recommendation and now its working very well with this brad of PLA.
Felix 3.0 with E3D Dual direct drive extruder conversion. (http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1630)
Software: simplify3d

Phipso

Post by Phipso »

Hi everybody, thanks for your answers.
I do not understand what I'm doing wrong ....
The problems which I have reported are solved. Now I have two new problems.
I have taken the settings of cbensch (
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1035 ), and they also functioning partially. After the first layer, it looks as if the nozzle is immersed in the plastic. I have the Z axis checked everything looks ok.
The second problem is the printer extruded too little plastic on the first layer. Have the multiplier set to 2.2 now it looks better. Also have the engine checked by the extruder he draws exactly 100mm ....
Can someone send me his full settings, please?

Phipso

Post by Phipso »

Here are some pics about my print.
Why is the wall on the first pics so high?
Too much extrusion?

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

There are considerable differences in volume when moving your extrusion multiplier numeric value even a single .1 in either direction. If you're at 2.2 you're much too high. Start at 1.0 then try 1.1.

If you are experience low volume at 1.1 then try 1.2...but I bet 1.2 would even be too great and you'll overextrude. But if you do over-extrude at 1.2, but you were under-extruding at 1.1 you know you now have a range. Now adjust in smaller increments, i.e. starting at 1.05. Too much extrusion? Try 1.04. Too little extrusion? Try 1.06. You can really dial in the print quality.

The PLA I'm printing with right now seems to be a little thinner than my other spool. It's at 1.7mm instead of 1.73mm of the other when both should be 1.75mm So I dropped my extrusion multiplier to .95 and it prints superbly.

Another thought, you're wasting much too much filament on these test pieces. Download the Felix test print file 40X10.stl at http://shop.felixprinters.com/downloads ... int_files/ and use that instead. Print that piece until you dial in your extrusion multiplier until you're at the quality you're comfortable with.