Printed Parts

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Re: Printed Parts

Post by gfeliksdal »

@mcole254: Wow! I've just seen your edited post. Thats a big print! I'm also curious what it is for. Its one of the first times I see an almost full utilization of the build volume

@kjetilei: Also Wow! What kind of control board are you using? I would love to see a movie of it. Also a neat trick to add parts during printing.

mcole254

Post by mcole254 »

@kjetilei and gfeliksdal: the parts shrouds for custom headlights I'm working on. More details can be seen here: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthr ... n-Progress

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

@mcole254: COOL! (or is HOT more appropriate in this setting?) Good look with the rest of the parts! Have you done a test to see that the LEDs will not melt the PLA? (I just looked at the last photos and did not read the thread since I was in a hurry.)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

The led headlight is awesome :)...I was thinking it would be a nice upgrade for my oldtimer bmw E30, because the original headlights are pretty crappy. First have to make sure if it is legal here in Holland. I hope you get your hot-end fixed soon, so you can print the rest of the headlight parts.

bill.gertz

Post by bill.gertz »

Hey mcole254,

Any chance that you would share the STL files for your filament holder? We are are looking to do about the same idea and would like to try out your design. Impressed with your printing...

Regards,

bill.gertz

suraki

Post by suraki »

Hi!

This is my first own pilot project:

I'm a very happy Felix 1.0 printer owner. :mrgreen:

danielkschneider

Post by danielkschneider »

These are mid-quality prints, but compatible enough for me ;)

I attached the SFACT profile. With respect to a Guillaume "normal" or "production" style (forgot which is was)
- 2 x 3 layers for each roof
- 0.25mm layers (makes the print time a bit shorter)
- much slower first layer (the base got to stick)
- maybe some extra shell on the first layer
- very dense fills. Else I the plastic bonds sideways instead of downwards on roof of the large platform
- less retraction. This is just to make extra sure that it keeps flowing. Of course, this leads to some very fine strings but I blow them away with flamer or a hot air pistol w/o problems

The pillars are bit ugly, overhangs do get some errors, but that is due to the design, plus relatively high speed. The models are here, i.e. files starting with "lugo-". There is also source code. Models print between 2.5 (the simple stairs) and 10 hours (the castle). Stairs for exhibition (not in the picture) takes about 2.3h
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2106

- Daniel
PS: At first I did have trouble printing this with non-translucent PLA, because I was unlucky to get bad filament roll (2.1mm knots now and then), so maybe the retraction can be put back to normal. Anyhow, it does print with black PLA which is IMHO the most difficult PLA there is ...
Attachments
LEGO-1 (normal,safe).zip
Unzip into c:/Program Files/Repetier-Host/sfact_profiles/profiles/extrusion/
(16.51 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
fighting-on-dell3.jpg
fighting-under-printer.jpg

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Daniel: Lol. You should build a RepStrap out of Lego and NTX ;)

Suraki: Nice to see you printing stuff :)

danielkschneider

Here is a somewhat smarter idea on how to print larger Lego structures. Make them modular and assemble with Lego.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31284

Fairly ugly designs, but done in just a few hours. Prints I did are Lego compatible and take between 3 and 7 hours.

Update: The fight goes on. Lego evils captured a Duplo princess and confined her in a roof top jacuzzi :(
Some 50+ people seem to like this on thingiverse, but so far I don't know if anyone except me printed this. That's a worse problem than a captured princess.
Princess caputured. Can you print these models ?
Princess caputured. Can you print these models ?

danielkschneider

Large prints can be done if the nozzle is 1 sheet of paper from the platform in any location. First few layers should be supervised and I suggest to turn the fan off. After that, fan on and you can leave the printer alone for 9 hour overnight print. Also, filament must be ok (some I got is not, i.e has large knots that won't pass into the nozzle) and of course you'd need a trustworthy spooler.
Mission critical first layers
Mission critical first layers
9 hours later
9 hours later
STL, source and doc:

* http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33001
* http://edutechwiki.unige.ch/en/Lego-com ... ject_board (doc)