X Axis shifting back and forth mid-print

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

ajkass

X Axis shifting back and forth mid-print

Post by ajkass »

Hey all,

First time poster here. I have the Felix 3.0 dual extruder and have been getting some great prints for the past month until recently.

It looks like the x-axis will lose its home by a millimeter or so midway through the print. Oddly though, it's not always the same throughout the y field and it will shift back and forth, its not always slipping in the same direction.. I'm not sure how else to explain it so I'll try to supply plenty of pictures. I've tried tweaking the pots lightly and tightening/loosening the x-belt some, both to no avail. Also tried different slicers and even replacing the x-motor...no dice.

y axis looks good as ever.

The prints aren't altogether terrible...but since I use the machine for work it does still cause problems for me.
IMG_20141217_150705.jpg
IMG_20141217_162213.jpg
IMG_20141217_162233.jpg

ajkass

Post by ajkass »

I thought perhaps it was a case of some missed steps...

When the head moves quickly along X after finishing a layer that grr/grunting like sound is sometimes audible...

but if it were a bad wire from the step motor to the board, wouldn't replacing the motor (and therefore the attached wires) fix the problem? It didnt...Also in that case, wouldn't the layers only drift to + or - X, not back and forth?

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

ajkass

Post by ajkass »

No dice.

I tried tightening and loosening the x (and y) belts to no avail.
The set screw came loose several times throughout the process, no surprise there.

Part of the print shifts while others dont. Its almost like the shell and the infill don't coincide, though both will also shift throughout the print.

I can see it happen during the prints too...it'll be making a line along x and will have really brief halt partway through the line before continuing. Small prints are coming out OK.

Checked the set screws, they're all tight.
Tried the pots, no dice.
It's not the cable to the motor, b/c I've tried two motors.
I am hearing that mean grinding noise during X translation.

I've been able to troubleshoot all the problems I've encountered before, just not this one.

Could something be wrong with the board?
I'm going to try lubricating the carriage next and if that doesn't work, I'm going to disassemble and rebuild the CNC parts.

I love this printer, and mark my words I'll figure it out.

Would really appreciate any other tips people have!

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

You could swap the connections for X and Y at the PCB (motors and endstops) in order to check whether it is the electronics. Just a thought.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

cbensch

Post by cbensch »

I like Dreide's thought for sure. Good way to test the electronics.

Next:

1) Have you done a close visual inspection to see where that grinding sound is coming from? Almost seems like your motors are working too hard.
2) Was this a DIY unit? You didn't lose any bearing from the track did you? I did...and it made for one very unhappy x-axis carriage. I found the bearing on the floor and put it back in and it was much happier.
3) Does the x-axis belt slide through the extruder carriage without making connection to the housing itself? That small channel directly behind the extruder that the belt passes through doesn't give the belt much room. Luckily the belt can be shifted a bit.
4) The x-axis belt wheel bearing and its subsequent housing on the vertical post that returns the belt to the extruder has been a problem for me so I redesigned my own. The original housing didn't allow me to have the belt slide through without making contact with the plastic. That made the x-motor work too hard and I was losing steps. So I made this: http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1103