V1.5 to V3

Help eachother out with assembly problems.
daveinhull

V1.5 to V3

Post by daveinhull »

Hi,

Firstly is there an upgrade manual or at least some instructions.

However, I think I've upgraded although as mentioned in another post, the upgrade really needs the new power supply which is an optional extra. So, I'm waiting for the power supply to arrive.

In the meantime I thought I would bench test the upgraded V3 printer with my old power supply, does anyone know if this should work? I connected all the wires to the new electronics board along with my old power supply and plugged it in.

With the green power cable in the electronics board all I get is a clicking from the X-axis stepper motor and all the LEDs on the electronics board doing a slow flash. However, on the V1.5 the green power supply lead was connected to the black earth lead, so I tried this and things started to happen, but not what I expected. The heat plate warmed up significantly along with the hot end, and the power supply fan made a lot of noise after a while.

I tried to connect the software, and although it found the comm port and appeared to connect thing happened. I tried using V1.0.5, and also V0.93?

So what should happen when I plug it in? I'm assuming it should just sit there waiting for the software to tell it what to do, so I can't understand what it is doing. Should I be using the new power supply, or, if the old one is ok, how do I configure the green standby lead, plugged into the electronics board or connected to the ground lead of the power supply or both?

I'm assuming that the electronics board already has the correct firmware in it, or is the firmware for the full latest V3 Felix and I need something different for an upgrade where I didn't replace the stepper motors or the hot-end?

Anybody else done a V1.5 to V3 upgrade or can anyone help?

Dave

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

you can find some instructions manuals here:
http://shop.felixprinters.com/downloads ... n+manuals/
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

Thanks Hugues,

I did get the V3 construction manual from that location, which is building the printer from scratch. I was wondering if there was a specific upgrade manual or instructions just t check that I'd done it right, guess not if that is all the manual there are.

On page 100 if the V3 construction manual it references a green and red wire from the power supply to the electronics board, but they are not labelled. I'm assuming that the green is the standby wire and red is 5 volts, can someone confirm.

On the electronics board the green connects to connection labelled PWR ENBL and the red connects to a connection labelled 5V+ STB. As I said I only have the old power supply at the moment so no switch, so if I connect it as described, it does nothing except click and flash all the electronic board lights. It only when I connect the green to a 0V ground does it start doing something.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Many thanks
Dave

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

The 2.0 assembly manual is a bit more specific about that. It says:
"Green wire functions as an on-off switch for the printer.
The purple wire is the standby power for the logic of the electronics."

So it is as you said, green has to be pulled to GND in order to get 12V switched on, but this is done by the firmware. So normally, when you connect the printer to the mains, it will take a few seconds for the firmware to boot, then the LCD is coming up (if you have one), and finally the 12V is switched on. At that point, only the extruder fan is supposed to run. Then you should be able to "connect" to the printer via Repetier Host (USB cable plugged in, COM port showing up in the device manager and selected in Repetier host).
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

Thanks Dreide,

I finally worked it all out, but somewhere in the process of doing so I've managed to 'brick' the electronics board :-(

From what I can see on the Ardunio forums, it needs a new bootloader programming, and although I've got another Ardunio that I could use as a programmer, the Felix electronics board doesn't expose the pins, or at least I don't know which they are.

Dave

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

daveinhull wrote: I finally worked it all out, but somewhere in the process of doing so I've managed to 'brick' the electronics board :-(
How can you be sure that you worked it all out if you 'bricked' the electronics board somewhere in between? I also wonder how it would be possible to even lose the bootloader on the way, so I very much doubt that the bootloader is really missing, and before messing with it you should make sure that you exhausted all other options. How, exactly, did you screw up and what are the symptoms now that make you think that you need to re-program the bootloader?
Anyway, the ISP connector would be in between the terminals for the fans and the temp sensors.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

Hi Dreide,

Well I've worked with Ardunios before and when the single green light flashes it has meant in the past that the board will not work. Other factors include that the Ardunio SDE will not download the firmware it either times out or reports out of sync. Searching on Google shows that these symptoms usually (and I must admit there could be other problems) points to a bootloder problem with a suggested answer to reload the bootloader.

When I say I worked it all out I meant I had worked out what you had told me, i.e. the green wire and the purple wire. When I printed the assemble manual the purple wire printed in red, which is what through me initially, taking a look on the screen and it is purple. The other confusion was that on the V1.5 power supply the purple lead was not used and was therefore cut short and hidden in the bundle of unused power supply wires.

So, unless you can tell me what the green light flashing means, I'm reasonably going to assume that it's 'bricked' along with other Ardunio boards that I've used in the past that are 'Bricked' with just the green light flashing......

Dave

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

daveinhull wrote:So, unless you can tell me what the green light flashing means, ...
Well, I can't. On my board the LED (the one near the crystal) is switched off one or two seconds after power on (no USB connected, no SD card inserted).

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

Hi Dreide,

Yes , that is supposed to happen on all Ardunio boards saying that everything is ready....flashing means "oh dear, what's happened :-("

Thanks anyway for you input on the leads.....

Dave

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

All,

Just in case anybody else has a similar problem; it was a faulty electronics board. I got a new one (thanks to Guillaume for a quick delivery before Christmas :D) and it all works very well.

Dave