Encoder push working, but not rotating... (SOLVED)

Discussions about the electronics
Eli-Audio

Encoder push working, but not rotating... (SOLVED)

Post by Eli-Audio »

So pushing the rotary encoder does enter the menu, but rotating doesn't do anything...
What could be the issue here?

EDIT: The issue has been resolved, faulty wiring from the distributor!

Rotary encoder Pinout
1 - Gnd
2 - Switch
3 - Not used
4 - Rotation left (next item)
5 - Rotation Right (previous item)
6 - Gnd
Last edited by Eli-Audio on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

The ribbon cable connectors from the LCD unit might not be well plugged in to the PCB.
A wire soldered to the rotary encoder might have became loose.
The pins of the encoder might be bent in an unfortunate way and causes a short circuit between the pins.
Felix 2.0->3.0dual * Repetier (host+firmware) * KISSlicer Pro, Simplify3D * Cubify Design

Eli-Audio

Post by Eli-Audio »

The ribbon cables are connected the right way at the PCB, but I can't find a wiring diagram for the Encoder, maybe this side is wrong? I could replace the encoder, I've got hundreds laying around...

Eli-Audio

Post by Eli-Audio »

I'm thinking, might this be a firmware issue? Before I started using the printer I updated to 0.92, just to get it to work under mac. So I can't say if the encoder was working under 0.91... anyway, I've been reading in the firmware (which is just arduino code) that there's a bunch of push button options too!

I do get a reaction to turning the encoder sometimes, but not very frequently. I'm going to replace the encoder with push buttons to see if that's working...

Eli-Audio

Post by Eli-Audio »

Some good old trial and error resolved the issue, apparently the wiring was off! So as there is no wiring information to be found for the rotary encoder (I looked, couldn't find it) I had to resort to the good old way of taking the wiring of and starting again!

Al it took was to find the two ground wires, one for the push-button, one for the rotary encoder, and then wire the rest of the wires until it works right!

1 - Gnd
2 - Switch
3 - Not used
4 - Rotary left (next item)
5 - Rotary right (previous item)
6 - Gnd