Extruder v4 faillure, resolving the issue with E3D v6!!

General discussions regarding hardware
Eli-Audio

Extruder v4 faillure, resolving the issue with E3D v6!!

Post by Eli-Audio »

So this was the problem, that PEEK part, which has failed so many times before melted and the Heater popped out!Ffor me it started to go downhill when printing ABS at 230 degrees celcius or higher. The PEEK get's clogged very easy when you leave the hot-end turned on when not using it, or when you're trying to extrude exotic filaments like woodfill.

So after interchanging a week between three v4 extruders I decided to try the E3D extruder, still need to fix it to the machine, but I've just finished printing Satoer's mount for the v6 E3D extruder. Of course while printing these parts I've noticed that my printer was overextruding a bit, had to set it back to 85% instead of the original 95% flow rate! And noticed that the printer worked a bit better then before, so settings might have been the problem in the first place?

Anyway I'll be trying the E3D and likely not look back!
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender-02.jpg
FullSizeRender-04.jpg
Last edited by Eli-Audio on Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jaanus

Post by Jaanus »

See some tips in this topic, I had same situation when I tryied to print ABS while ago now I'm working in new solution of extruder so that the PEEK part is not an issue anymore. Meanwhile I have to make some more parts to stock when it's ready ;)
Here You can find some 3D parts for extruder which I made, thread is in it M8x1 not M8x1,25 http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1380

Rafjax

Post by Rafjax »

I have the same problem with pla on 210°C. Is the extruder now defekt?
My printer runs 20 hours and i think it was a very bad idea to bought a 3d printer.

What can i do now ?

satoer

Post by satoer »

My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Eli-Audio

Post by Eli-Audio »

satoer wrote:Upgrade to a peek-less hot-end:
http://forum.felixprinters.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1078
Satour,

I just ordered the E3D V6 full kit! I'll have to figure out how you installed it onto the carriage and what parts to print before I break the felix extruders!!

satoer

Post by satoer »

I love this hot-end. I haven’t encounter any clogging or other failure with it yet :)

Remember that you probably have to print on a higher temperature than with the Felix hot-end. I print PLA between 220 and 230 degrees with this hot-end (depends on PLA manufacturer). I don't know the real temperature (never compared with an another sensor) So it might be that the real temperature is lower and the thermistor table in the firmware isn't that accurate (I did select the right thermistor in firmware).

Anyway, just experiment what temperature works best. If it cogs, the temperature is probably too low.

Eli-Audio

Post by Eli-Audio »

satoer wrote:I love this hot-end. I haven’t encounter any clogging or other failure with it yet :)

Remember that you probably have to print on a higher temperature than with the Felix hot-end. I print PLA between 220 and 230 degrees with this hot-end (depends on PLA manufacturer). I don't know the real temperature (never compared with an another sensor) So it might be that the real temperature is lower and the thermistor table in the firmware isn't that accurate (I did select the right thermistor in firmware).

Anyway, just experiment what temperature works best. If it cogs, the temperature is probably too low.
So you never altered the firmware after installing the E3D extruder?
I'll be changing the Z-axes homing sensor with a proximity sensor, maybe use it for auto-bed leveling.

seaton

Post by seaton »

Eli-Audio wrote:
satoer wrote:I love this hot-end. I haven’t encounter any clogging or other failure with it yet :)

So you never altered the firmware after installing the E3D extruder?
I'll be changing the Z-axes homing sensor with a proximity sensor, maybe use it for auto-bed leveling.

I've just moved over to Satoer's carriage and hotend myself this last weekend and very happy with the results.

You will need to modify the thermistor type in the firmware to get correct temperature readings from type 1 to type 8.

Stephen...
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

satoer

Post by satoer »

Like Seaton told, change the thermistor type in firmware. The thermistor in the e3D-kit is a different type than the Felix thermistor. But, although my room temperatures (heat bed and extruder) are the same, i still need higher temperatures to melt the PLA. Probably the thermistor table isn't perfectly calibrated for this thermistor. I dont know, and don’t care also haha. Works fine.

About the printed parts, it looks like you are feeding to much filament to the extruder. try to lower the feed rate and look if the walls are getting cleaner.

Eli-Audio

Post by Eli-Audio »

[quote="satoer"About the printed parts, it looks like you are feeding to much filament to the extruder. try to lower the feed rate and look if the walls are getting cleaner.[/quote]

It looks a lot worse on this picture then in real life... I've already lowered the feed rate to 85%, I think the base was printed at 90% feed and 150 micron layer height. I noticed that I was overextruding because I couldn't get the locking nuts in, and the nozzle was dragging over the just printed layer.

I'm just waiting for the bowden tube to get here and the springs I still need to find, Ikea doesn't sell those clothes pegs anymore I beleave..

Could I use the teflon tube that comes with the Felix for a bowden tube, that's Teflon right?