This is why I chose the Felix,

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

satoer

This is why I chose the Felix,

Post by satoer »

Just an experience share with you guys,
A couple of years ago, when I was looking for a 3D printer one of the options I wanted was a big build platform and not expensive. The Felix (1.5) was at that time one of the printers with a huge built platform, compared to the competition. At the time I wanted a 3D printer without really knowing what to do with it. More or less for fun. So I didn’t wanted to spend a lot of money on it. But now… wow, what an versatile tool it turned out to be. I’m using it for everything. I even fixed my car engine with a part I designed and printed. But mostly for small parts. But today I designed and printed something I needed the full building space: A teleprompter for my camera (attached to the lenshood-mount):
Teleprompter-1.jpg
Teleprompter-2.jpg
Teleprompter-3.jpg
Really happy I chose a printer with this large build platform. I printed it in 0,25 layer height at 150% speed. Almost perfectly, the item fitted just barely on the build platform but forgot to disable the “skirt” or "parameter" line outside the printed object. It pushed the stepper at the maximum limit on the first layer, and a couple of hundred layers later it hit the limit again (you can see the ridge and printed X 0,5mm out of alignment. No biggie, it works fine!

(Printer: Upgraded to 2.0 Felix printer with modified e3d V6 bowden setup.)

So, if you really want to get the most out of your 3D printer, learn a 3D package. The possibilities are limitless :)
Last edited by satoer on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

Great project!

Thanks for sharing your experience :)

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Wow :), that is a big print. On the teleprompter is that the text from pulp fiction? Great to hear you like the printer.