All prints just stop! :(

andyegan

All prints just stop! :(

Post by andyegan »

Hi guys,

Trying desperately to troubleshoot a problem that occurs intermittently but is becoming more frequent.

All of my prints, no matter the computer or operating system will freeze at any random point and will not resume. Leaving me to kill the job and restart.

So frustrating!

I have so many jobs to print! :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated

DDME-Marc

Post by DDME-Marc »

Hi Andy,

For a start have you tried using alternate USB cables to connect with the printer, or even tried printing using the SD card port?

Issues have been discussed in the past surrounding dodgy cables, so its a good place to start.

Cheers,

Marc
Felix 3.0 Dual Head * E3D Titan V6 * Repetier-Host V2.1.3 * Repetier-Firmware 0.92.9 (01/08/17 - Modified) * KISSlicer Pro - 1.6.3 * Arduino 1.8.5 *

satoer

Post by satoer »

Another vote for the dodgy USB Cable here! I've had a double ferrite-filter USB cable with freezing prints. Turned out that a non-ferrite filter USB cable solved the problem. I’m not saying the ferrite filter is the problem, just saying that it doesn't necessary is a good cable.
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

agentmulder

Post by agentmulder »

Just had a look in the electronics and I see the ubiquitous FTDI chip in there which means the Felix runs using virtual serial ports huh (?) - and the baud rate setting is 250000, which is 'high' in that realm, guess it needs to be to pump all that info in 'real time' without buffer overflows, let alone the data pooping itself in transit (cable issues etc.)

Anyway, yeah, it happened to me as well - zero issues since I started using the SD card - that is with printing... it still remains a question as to why the micro micro (nano?) small SD card form factor was chosen - so easy to lose and the spring mechanism is no where as robust as a simple push in friction style one. If you're not careful you can slip it above the slot on the felix and it'll be sitting on top on the PCB until you can fork it out (the electronics top cover remains uninstalled to this day)

Oh yeah, and don't worry if you don't have the LCD, you can start the print directly from repetier - personally I find it hard to sell the LCD to myself, glad I didn't get one.

andyegan

Post by andyegan »

Used SD card and controlled it through repetier. All seemed to work fine, until I smell burning!

Where the connector on the electronics board and the positive heater cable has melted, at only a 60 degrees for the bed heat.

Safe to say I am well over this printer

agentmulder

Post by agentmulder »

It looks to me like the PCB terminals for those cables are a wee bit small for the size of the cable (?) - then again I'm not sure of the actual gauge under all that extra material sleeving around the cable insulation is. Assuming it is heat related and a fair amount of current involved (that's what the circuit is doing after all) then if the cable hasn't been well seated and properly fixed in place in the terminal then one might expect 'issues' around the joint ?

Remember the 60 degrees worth of energy would be distributed over the bed area, with all that ambient atmosphere soaking it up, if you create a concentration around a smaller area then the heat will easily reach platic burny/melty territory.

Obviously a concern!

I used nice (Weidmuller) terminal/cable crimps on mine - did you go straight cable in ? I've seen people solder their cable ends thinking its a good idea, but if it heats up and the solder melts your once tight connection can easily work loose...

I still wonder if I should be leaving my 'so far stable with nothing tricky left' prints to complete on their own.

andyegan

Post by andyegan »

Yeah I went cable straight in. Was placed in well and tight, as I knew this was a temperate cable I took extra time to make sure it was seated correctly.

Alas, it has still melted. Not from the tip of the cable but from inside the connector.

$200 + Shipping for a replacement board is not really a cost I can afford.

50 weeks ago is when I purchased it, so maybe I could get it replaced through warranty (doubt it)

agentmulder

Post by agentmulder »

I should also add, please stick with it - I had some frustration at first and felt like returning it (bought local) build issues combined with the fact that once it's working as intended you're then stuck with learning all the ins and outs of 3D printing:

~terrible user interface in the open source softwares
~non-existent or contradictory documentation
~developers going (for want of a better term) AWOL
~every man adding their 2-cents on the internet after mistaking luck and circumstances outside of their awareness or control for a worked through 'solution'
~arcane terminology
~the huge range of variables involved
~learning Solidworks/Rhino (large pain that one)

...BUT, with all that said and thankfully done - mine is now finally working as I thought it would. You will get there !

agentmulder

Post by agentmulder »

andyegan wrote:50 weeks ago is when I purchased it, so maybe I could get it replaced through warranty (doubt it)
Bugger

Best get in touch with Felix directly with photos - also check the conditions of the sale... Should be interesting to see what happens.

Hopefully you'll be printing again soon without too much grief :|