Upgrade 1.5 problem

Help eachother out with assembly problems.
Geertjan

Upgrade 1.5 problem

Post by Geertjan »

I have upgraded my felix 1 revision D with the upgrade kit. Everything went smoothly and i was very happy with the result. Until i discovered that the table stopped at 6 mm from the extruder nozzle. The motor axis from the z motor touches the x motor housing preventing the table to move further upwards. I think I put everything together as outlined in the assambly manual. I have searched and search for an assambly error but I can not find one. In this configuration a can however not print anything. Perhaps I can mount the table 6 mm higher with larger bolts and more washers to compensate but perhaps there is an other solution. Does anyone have the same problem?

luciof

Post by luciof »

Hi Geertjan,

I had the same problem (Y motor shaft against X motor bottom), and resolved it by cutting the "excess" Y shaft using a Dremel.
I did it "on site" (without disassembling the Y unit) after accurately wrapping everything (but the shaft) with plastic sheet to protect the motor bearing and other working parts from filing.
I also shortened the X motor shaft to ease X-bracket mounting).

satoer

Post by satoer »

Yes, I had this problem too.

While manually moving the axes by hand to check the binding, I’ve discovered a problem with the Y-axis motor shaft hitting the X motor. I needed to file about 1 mm of the X motor mount to fix this.

Just enough clearance after the fix
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

Thanx luciof and satour. It is a design flaw then. I was thinking of filing a bit from the base of the motor. It is only .5 mm that I need. Now that I know I am not the only one with this problem I can do it confidently.

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

This is what I plan to do. I will file a piece of the aluminum motor base.
Attachments
upgrade_2_adj.jpg
upgrade_2_adj.jpg (77.67 KiB) Viewed 822 times

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

I didn't have this problem neither with 1.0 nor 1.5, though there is only little clearance with 1.5. Are you sure you can't just resolve this by twisting the X axis motor & bracket a bit?

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

I agree the clearance is little, but it should be enough without the need to file anything. It can usually be resolved by twisting the x-motor bracket slightly, or it could be caused by the z-axis rail which is not mounted parallel along the wide frame beam.

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

My X motor is slightly tilted. Eg not exactly parallel to the Z beam. I tried to correct it but it is still there. I Could not correct it by losening the 4 motor screws and retighten them. I presumed that this was within the tolerances. I'll try it again. And check the Z axis rail also :D But moving the Y motor a bit foreward in a next version woud be nice ;)

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

This is what happens. When I tighten the bolt that holds the X motor bracket it pivots slightly. As a result the bottom of the X motor moves a little forward.
Attachments
pivot.jpg

satoer

Post by satoer »

I don't have that as you can see from my pictures. Are you sure you don’t have excessive tension on the belt?
My Felix 1.5 printed designs on Thingiverse
E3D V6 Hot end upgrade for your Felix
Tweezer bracket for your Felix
Led bar upgrade for your Felix