Heated bed insulation using aerogel

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
pvico

Heated bed insulation using aerogel

Post by pvico »

I used a silica aerogel blanket from buyaerogel.com to insulate the heated bed of my Felix 3.0. I can reach just short of 110 deg C at an ambient temp of 19 deg C.

See all the details in the PDF.

The blanket was purchased here: http://www.buyaerogel.com/product/thermal-wrap/
Attachments
Aerogel Heated Bed Insulation for Felix 3D Printer.pdf
(448.1 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
hi_res.jpg
Felix 3.0
Simplify3D
123D Design

Boris

Post by Boris »

You are man !
Felix 3.0 x2 extruders

JTa

Post by JTa »

Kinda expensive considering the shipping fee alone is over 100 USD. :o

I'll stick to the cardboard "patent" for now. :)

EDIT: I had another item in my cart when I was ordering. With only this one blanket it's still over 50 USD for shipping. Group order anyone..? :D

pvico

Post by pvico »

I had it shipped to my hotel in New York (I go there at least once a month). I don't remember the shipping cost, but it was not that expensive.
Felix 3.0
Simplify3D
123D Design

JTa

Post by JTa »

pvico wrote:I had it shipped to my hotel in New York (I go there at least once a month). I don't remember the shipping cost, but it was not that expensive.
Yeah, shipping outside US is quite expensive nowadays. And that makes it really expensive since (at least here in Finland) the toll fees are calculated of the total sum, including the shipping costs. Too bad, would have been nice to try this and the pyrogel blanket (for hotend insulation) too..

NikolaiD

Post by NikolaiD »

That blanket looks better than what I have.
I bought DEI 010460 Reflect-A-Cool 12" x 12" Radiant Heat Barrier.
It was $12 shipped. I couldn't get ABS to stick before it. The nice thing is that it already comes very close to the size of the bed and it's self-adhesive.
My bed "displays" 110C+ (as we know, insulating the sensor skews the readings a bit), but I'd like to add something else to it to help it heat up faster.

bill.gertz

Post by bill.gertz »

All,

We have also done an Aerogel mod using SpaceLoft from the same company (Aerogel Technologies). If your interested we documented the process at Instructables: http://www.instructables.com/id/Heated- ... l-Blanket/. Have a look and let me know how it goes, or post me if you have a question.

Bill