3d printed object smaller than drawing

General discussions regarding hardware
neilv

3d printed object smaller than drawing

Post by neilv »

When I print something, the print is smaller than what it should be.
When I draw a circle of 40 mm than its actually 39.48 mm (printed)
a gap of 7.8 mm is in fact 7.45 mm.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Attachments
1.jpg
2015-02-22 08.41.30 - kopie.jpg

fesch

Post by fesch »

I read somewhere on this forum on howto "calibrate" Felix, but actually I can't find back the post ... :-(

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Look in one of the Repetier menu about the firmware, you can read and modify the number of steps per mm, or something like this.
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

neilv

Post by neilv »

Thanks i gonna take a look in the firmware. :)

fesch

Post by fesch »

neilv

Post by neilv »

Great! Thanks :!:

seaton

Post by seaton »

neilv wrote:When I print something, the print is smaller than what it should be.

Best bet is to check calibration of all axis + extruder, then perform a thin wall calibration to get extruded diameter as accurate as possible. Make sure that filament is measured at 90Deg offsets in at least 3-6 places and diameter is averaged, this value is whats plugged into the slicer software for you filament diameter.

From my experience I found that OD is easier to achieve then ID, usually the ID is slicer related and there I know when Ive had problems in the past I've found that the there was an issue in the slicer in question I was using at the time, kisslicer + Slic3r. Also the smaller the hole the worse the accuracy.

however if you have a well calibrated machine you will get pretty reasonable accuracy and some of the pieces I've printed has had some really nice tolerance fits with bearings etc.

Stephen...
Stephen...

Felix 2.0 -> Felix 3.0 dual
Simplify3D Slicer, Kisslicer
Have you added your Felix to the Map? http://goo.gl/maps/HajnZ

http://blog.strobotics.com.au

neilv

Post by neilv »

seaton wrote:
neilv wrote:When I print something, the print is smaller than what it should be.

Best bet is to check calibration of all axis + extruder, then perform a thin wall calibration to get extruded diameter as accurate as possible. Make sure that filament is measured at 90Deg offsets in at least 3-6 places and diameter is averaged, this value is whats plugged into the slicer software for you filament diameter.

From my experience I found that OD is easier to achieve then ID, usually the ID is slicer related and there I know when Ive had problems in the past I've found that the there was an issue in the slicer in question I was using at the time, kisslicer + Slic3r. Also the smaller the hole the worse the accuracy.

however if you have a well calibrated machine you will get pretty reasonable accuracy and some of the pieces I've printed has had some really nice tolerance fits with bearings etc.

Stephen...

Stephen,

thanks for the reply , I will try it ASAP.(Something for a rainy day)