+/-45 degree rotated infill versus 0/90

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

felix

+/-45 degree rotated infill versus 0/90

Post by felix »

Hi all,

Guillaume's profiles have 45degree rotated infill by default. I wonder why would this be preferred? I have been printing with 0/90 degrees for a while, and I see only advantages: less wear and tear on steppers and bearings, since in each layer only one axis moves at full speed all the time instead of two, less dependence on correct lash settings for the infill since the direction of motion stays constant at least on the one axis, and less vibrations between the two axis.

I don't care about lash anymore since the 1.5 upgrade, and vibrations are significantly reduced as well, but it's still just quieter with 0/90 infill.

thoughts anyone?

Trnquill

Post by Trnquill »

When printing "regular" objects that have simple geometrical form the 45 degree infill might be better. Let's consider a cube for example. If the cube itself is not rotated before slicing it will most likely sit parallel to X and Y axis. When you now infill the structure the fill will be aligned with the outer walls. This might or might not be a problem but I think the part will have less strength compared to similar part with 45 degree infill. If the fill is built at 45 degree angle it will form a nice cross structure inside the part that will support it better than parallel fill structures. Compare this to the way they build bridges: the support structure is nice criss cross, not parallel to bridge deck, http://blog.wolfram.com/images/sw/bridges2.gif

If you're printing objects that do not have walls parallel to X and/or Y axis having the infill rotation at 0 or 90 should not matter at all.

dognotdog

Post by dognotdog »

One of the reasons is the better strength, though another is that at 45° you can, in theory, move faster than along each axis, as moving both axes at "full" speed will give you 1.4x the max speed of each axis on its own. Of course, this would only matter if the extruder isn't the limiting factor.