extruder broke in two

neep

extruder broke in two

Post by neep »

My secondary extruder, which I only today started using with PVA, has broken in two :(

I noticed the PVA was stuck, so I retracted it up, and then had it intract again. Somehow the force of the insertion wheel was large enough to make the extruder break in pieces!

http://imgur.com/a/PFzbH#5

This seems like a bad design to me. Are the extruders covered under warranty? I bought my Felix 3.0 plus dual extruder kit in January 2015.

frankjoke

Post by frankjoke »

Does not look good :(

Is here the plastic peace or the Alu peace broken?
Give a call/Mail to Felix.

I at least got a Thermristor and motor replaced.

neep

Post by neep »

It's hard to tell. There is molten plastic to be seen, but once it cooled down I can't move it anymore. I don't want to make it more broken than it is.

I e-mailed Felix yesterday and got a reply today. Looks good so far. They say that there may have been a problem with older firmware causing the thermistor to overheat. I was running on the firmware I installed in January, which I think was 0.92.

Will update this thread when there's more news.

neep

Post by neep »

Felix is shipping me new parts to repair the extruder! Hopefully I'll have those in before the weekend. I'll post the outcome of the repair here.

JohnK1

Post by JohnK1 »

It reminds me my trouble with the hot ends. I couldn't print ABS. The temperature around 230ºC damaged the peek part. I have got a new peek part from Felix, updated a firmware and it happened again. It was really annoying.
I have bought new hot ends ED-V6. I need to machine the interface to put them to the place. They are peek-less and the people says hassle-less.