Upgrade 3.0 to 3.1 Z-axes calibration part not explained

Help eachother out with assembly problems.
Metalrat

Upgrade 3.0 to 3.1 Z-axes calibration part not explained

Post by Metalrat »

Hello All,

After spending some time depressed about my thermistor problems I have returned to my Felix with great hopes. I initially bought a 2.0 to 3.0 upgrade kit which was delivered the same day that Felix announced the 3.0 to 3.1 :)
So I promptly ordered the additional upgrade bits and proceeding with the upgrade. However I have hit a snag and I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice/assistance.

In the 3.0 to 3.1 upgrade kit manual there is a very brief discussion about replacing the Z-Axis calibration part and there in the image I noticed a part (in the green circle of the image below) that was included in the upgrade kit even though it isn't on the front page of the 3.0 to 3.1 upgrade manual where the bill of materials is shown.
fielix 3.0 to 3.1 upgrade part Z axis adjustment.JPG
fielix 3.0 to 3.1 upgrade part Z axis adjustment.JPG (28.42 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
I checked the 3.1 installation manual and it doesn't show how the part affixes to the bolt (M4x25 I think). Does anyone have any suggestions? I would very much like to have this very fine control of adjustment without having to resort to a tool and I will find some way to glue it on if necessary but I do hate using glue when its not needed as it is more a kludge then ;)

Image below from the 3.1 Assembly Manual 20150713
Felix 3.1 Assembly manual Z axes construction.JPG
Felix 3.1 Assembly manual Z axes construction.JPG (18.67 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi, the small knob should be mounted without glue. When pushed onto the nut it should stay in place. It has some tiny crush ribs printer inside the part so it should stay in place.

Metalrat

Post by Metalrat »

Ok, I'll take a look into that.

kerog

Post by kerog »

I had a couple comments on this piece as well. I had great difficulty getting the square nut to go in the slot; eventually it broke off the tiny piece at the end when I forced it, but stayed in OK nonetheless.

I was also able to press-fit the knob OK. However, the bolt itself slips up and down in its slot on the side opposite the knob. I think I will have to glue it in to keep it from slipping and ruining the level adjustment. In the meantime, I just make sure I push up on the knob when turning to keep things consistent.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

The nut should be fastened just tight enough that the bolt cannot move up and down in the bracket. But it should be not tightened so much that the bracket will deform.