3.1 Upgrade X axis belt mount

Help eachother out with assembly problems.
kerog

3.1 Upgrade X axis belt mount

Post by kerog »

Finally got my 3.1 upgrade, and am proceeding with the instructions. Having removed the part that connects to the X axis belts, it looks identical to the part that came with the upgrade kit. Can someone explain the difference?

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Kerog,

Some explenation about the plastic parts update.

The extruder base part, is the same, except some enforcements and better tolerances.

The L-shaped brackets have also some enforcement and and injection molded with better tolerances.

The y-stage brackets are heightened with 1mm so the belt will not scratch the z-axis lift bracket when the y-position is at the ends of it's stroke. Also the belt will stay better in line, so this should increase accuracy a little bit.

kerog

Post by kerog »

I see, so the reinforcement (which is not apparent to the naked eye) should make the parts stiffer and provide some performance improvement. I did notice that the L-shaped extruder brackets seemed to fit better than the previous ones.

The upgrade instructions don't actually tell you to replace the Y axis brackets. I was wondering why they were in there.

In the description of the upgrade, I got the impression that the new dual axis adjustment bracket had some sort of quick-release feature that would allow you to move the second head up and out of the way relative to the first.

"The new extruder assembly also allows the right-side hot-end to be stowed away to prevent it from colliding with printed parts when printing in single-head mode"

All I see is the one screw for fine adjustment. Am I missing something, or is the stowing capability just a matter of adjusting the screw, which will cause you to lose the dialed-in alignment between the two extruders?

I hope this wasn't a misconception I myself introduced in editing your original release...

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Yes indeed, the changes are small, but it's effect fortunately not :)

Hmm, I'll look into the upgrade instructions, to have it changed.

The second head doesn't have a quick release. It was quite a struggle to fit it in the tiny space. To move up teh second head if you only want to use single extrusion, needs to be done with an allen key. Which takes a few turns. It will only move up 1-2 mm, but that is already good enough to reduce chances of bumping the second head against a printed object. The x,y alignment will hardly be influenced. The only thing is to move it back to the correct z-height. Best is to move the head fully to the right (when you are in front of the printer.) Then it is easy to access the allen key and adjust the height properly.

kerog

Post by kerog »

That's good info, especially the bit about moving the carriage to the right. It would also help to have clear instructions as to whether clockwise turns raise or lower the right-hand extruder (though of course one could figure this out oneself with a very small effort).

It would probably help convince people that the upgrade is worth it if you showed pics of two pieces, one printed without the upgrade and one with the upgrade, that had a visible difference in quality.