Extruder skipping, sparse print

evanr

Re: Extruder skipping, sparse print

Post by evanr »

just changed the extruder motor BUT the problem is the same as before, it clicks and chugs along but I'm not able to extrude.

I'm stumped.

evanr

Post by evanr »

I just changed around some of the motor leads from the x,y,z axis on the Arduino to substitute the Extruder motor lead.

Anything that is connected to the Extruder lead on the Arduino doesn't really move when clicking from Repetier.

I also thought it was the Extruder bearing ceasing up due to small tolerance when tightened. Bearing is ok. I took a Dremel to where to bearing nuzzles into thinking a print lump occured. nope, didn't matter.

By hand, when I pull up/down on the filament the motor/spindle and bearing move freely. However, when I click to test extrude forward in Repetier the Extruder motor hums and thuds vroom vroom vroom vroom, sounds like a motorcyle in neutral. Going in reverse the motor buzzes.

Any thoughts?

My Arduino has a 5th open unused motor lead. Can I activate this somehow and test use it for the Extruder motor? Maybe the current Arduino lead is toast?

evanr

Post by evanr »

Can anyone out there provide me with any feedback?

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

>
evanr wrote:Can anyone out there provide me with any feedback?
I don't have a 1.5 Felix, but aren't the motor driver modules pluggable on a 1.5 PCB? And aren't there only 4 such modules? If something is fried then it is probably the motor driver module, which you can easily check by replacing the extruder module by one of the other modules (or using the extruder module with one of the other ports).
If using the 5th port would solve the problem (either on a 1.5 or a 2.0 PCB), then you would either swap the pin numbers in the firmware code (in pins.h) and recompile/upload the changed firmware, or you could try using the printer as a dual extruder printer while only using the second extruder from then on.

evanr

Post by evanr »

Ok, thanks.

The problem now seems to be solved.

Good thing the RAMP board had a 5th motor controller. The Extruder motor was good, it was the controller on the RAMP board. I am now using the spare.

Here is the post that helps show how to switch to using the spare controller on the RAMP board:

Re: new Felix problems
Postby satoer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:39 pm

I’ve looked into the firmware for you and these are the steps you have to make in order to swap the Y steppermotor slot with the spare one:

- Open up arduino and load the firmware “marlin.ino” file.
- Now a lot of tabs open up at the top. On the top-right there’s a small arrow down (below the looking glass). Click that and select “pins.h”
- Now scroll down until you see these lines:

Code: Select all
/****************************************************************************************
* Arduino Mega pin assignment
****************************************************************************************/
#if MOTHERBOARD == 3 || MOTHERBOARD == 33 || MOTHERBOARD == 34
#define KNOWN_BOARD 1

- Now scroll down to this lines:
#define Y_STEP_PIN 60
#define Y_DIR_PIN 61
#define Y_ENABLE_PIN 56

- And change this to:
#define Y_STEP_PIN 36
#define Y_DIR_PIN 34
#define Y_ENABLE_PIN 30

- Now scroll to:
#define E1_STEP_PIN 36
#define E1_DIR_PIN 34
#define E1_ENABLE_PIN 30

- And change to:
#define E1_STEP_PIN 60
#define E1_DIR_PIN 61
#define E1_ENABLE_PIN 56

- Save, compile and upload!

Now you have swapped the Y with the Spare. Don’t forget to plug the stepper driver control board into the separate slot and the Y connector.

evanr

Post by evanr »

I'm now using the spare motor controller on the RAMPS board. After printing 18hrs of perfect prints, the same problem is now occurring.

I left it to print over night and came back to see a perfect part. But when I started to print another part the Extruder motor starts to chug. It started to print OK and then stops extruding.

The motor seems to test extrude ok, but starts to chug when I apply tension for it to extrude filament. It was like this before on the original motor controller and then the motor just stopped working eventually.

It can't be the extruder bearing getting jammed, or can it? I just printed a 5.5hr print with no problems. When I push the filament through, the bearing moves...

Did I blow another controller? What is going on??

Can anyone help, please?

evanr

Post by evanr »

To date, I have tried the following:

- a new motor
- 'spare' controller on the RAMPS board, updated firmware to point to the new spare and it worked for 18hrs
- updated Repetier to 1.6.0
- reset Skeinforge, Cura, Slic3r - used Skeinforge for the last 18hrs of printing
- new extruder wheel
- newly printed entire extruder assembly updated from Felix 1.5 to 2.0 (I printed it last year just in case, changed it last week)
- increased the Extruder cooling fan from 5v to 12v, now back to 5v
- re-calibrated the bed, thinking filament was backing up

The only thing I have not tried or changed is the motor wire & connector. I spliced the wire closer to the motor and soldered in the new motor using the old wire/connector.

I'm going to change the entire wire & connector next.....

Anything else?

Dreide

Post by Dreide »

evanr wrote: Anything else?
You could have a look at the temperature plot. Anything unusual there right before the problem occurs?

evanr

Post by evanr »

thanks Dreide... can you please explain what you mean by 'temperature plot'

BTW, I just changed the cable and connector for the Extruder motor. Same problem occurs. It is not the cable or the connector.

When I test extrude without filament (just to see if motor is working), it turns no prob. However it does not turn in reverse, it only buzzes.

When I add filament it starts to chug, even if the pot meter is on full. If I push the filament through it moves ok with and so does the bearing. But it cannot do this on its own.

This is the exact problem that was occurring before I switched to the 'spare' motor lead on the RAMPS board.

I've never had a problem like this.
Can anyone provide any insight?

How is it possible that two motor leads on the RAMPS board don't work in one week? And why is it Extruder motor specific? I mean it was just working again this morning and it printed a perfect part............

evanr

Post by evanr »

It doesn't seem like there is enough power going to the motor, from both controllers, original Extruder and the spare. Forward is slow and reverse it just buzzes.

I can easily rotate the motor axle the opposite way when going forward.

Are my motor controllers fried?
Maybe it is the power supply?????

help please