Too few washers for y-axis mount

Help eachother out with assembly problems.
daveinhull

Too few washers for y-axis mount

Post by daveinhull »

Hi,

I have put on hold the x-axis build (until I can get an answer to my previous topic) and moved onto the plate and y-axis build. However, I find that I have too few large washers and crinkled washers to build what is needed to mount the y-axis on to the plate. The instructions suggest 5 sets of large and crinkled washers per mount but I only have enough for 4 sets.

The instructions say that "it is important to match the amount of washers ond the picture above".

Before I ask for some more washers, does anyone know if I can use 4 sets of washers rather than 5? The plate will be slightly lower but I guess I can just adjust this during calibration so long as I use the same number on each mount, but is there another purpose to having exactly 5 sets?

If I can't use just 4 then game over until I can get some more washers - I could try my local B&Q but I'm not sure I've ever seen those crinkled washers and even if I do find something similar they may not be the same thickness and so I'd be left with a similar problem.

Many thanks
Dave

Aztek1701

Post by Aztek1701 »

Hi Dave..

I have the same problem... I think we got out machines at the same time and seem to be working at the same speed... Im short of the flat washers as well ... I have enough to make 3 sets with 4 flat washers in each. I did wonder if it was a design change, hower, I tried mounting the table and the z-axis full up for me it fouls on the pulley of the y-axis motor before the table gets close enough to the hot end (its about 2 - 3 mm away).... I THINK (has not been tested yet) Ive gotten around it by using the extra M8 nuts ( including the one off the hot end) so for the me the order of stuff on the table is something like M4x40 screw.. wavy washer big washer, nut, big washer, M8 NUT, Big washer/ wavy washer x4 Y-axis support. Whether that gives enough to level the table or not remains to be seen.

The X-axis I have is the same as yours, however, the 4mm float doesnt seem to be bothering it..

BTW, experienced users, please feel free to shoot me down in flames here cus Im a complete newb at this lol.

//Kenny

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

Hi Kenny,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one, although it's all part of the fun in building the printer ;-)

OK, good idea with the nuts - I'm going to try adding another small nut after the one that is already there, so crinkled washer, big washer, nut, nut, then the 4 sets of crinkled and flat washers. However, I agree with you, only time will tell whether I can get enought movement to level the plate...

Dave

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Dave,

Do you know by any chance how many curved and large washers were available in your kit? Also how many small bearings?

Kind regards,

Guillaume

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

Hi Guillaume,

Sorry didn't count them at the start but I was 3 or 4 short in the end, also about 4 short on the small washers. I have 2 small bearings left over plus one spare temperature sensor. I've also got many spare nuts and bolts along with a couple of smare grub screws, motor mount screws and optosensor screws.

Dave

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Dave,

The production made an error in the last batch. So I think 10 printers have the same problem. Not enough curved washers and also the missing hole in the 400mm alu beam.

If you still need them please send me an email.

Kind regards,

Guillaume.