What is creating these defects ?

Moderator: speedake95

Hugues

What is creating these defects ?

Post by Hugues »

Hi guys,

using Felix 3.1 with Protopasta new high temp Carbon PLA.

I managed to print some vers smooth surface finish, but one stl file is giving me problems.

As you can see on the front.jpg picture, there are some little zits appearing on the surface on that side of the print, but they do not show up on the other side (back.jpg).

I tried to slice again the part by turning the part 180 deg on the Z axis, no change, the zits stay on the same side of the print.

I use slic3r, i set the start of perimeter to be at random places. (0.1 mm for 2 perimeters and 0.2 for infill) It does not look like these zits are created where the perimeter starts. I think these perimeter starts show on the back of the part.

Any idea how i can solve this ? Could it be a problem with my stl file ? i used this part:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1101186
front.jpg
back.jpg
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

venkel

Post by venkel »

This happens when the nozzle goes out of the perimeter. You have to find a setting that the path does not cross the outline.

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

venkel wrote:This happens when the nozzle goes out of the perimeter. You have to find a setting that the path does not cross the outline.
interesting. indeed it could make sense, the nozzle would only need to cross the perimeter on that side of the part, explaining why the back side is cleaner.

i will definitely try that parameter in Slic3r and revert back.

thanks
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Hugues wrote:..
i will definitely try that parameter in Slic3r and revert back.
I have checked in Repetier host the tool path and indeed it matches pretty well where the zits appear on my part.

So i sliced the part again after turnig on the "avoid crossing perimeter" in Slic3r. Checking first the tool parth in Repetier, i was surprised to see the tool path still crossing the perimeter quite often. maybe not as often, but still..

Is there another parameter or other slicer that can avoid crossing the perimeter "most of the time " ?
Hugues
Regards from Switzerland