Pro 1 spooling filament hook

This is the place to show off your felix printer hacks and improvements.
danielkschneider

Pro 1 spooling filament hook

Post by danielkschneider »

Picture of spooling hook
Picture of spooling hook
I never was very happy the default Felix Pro filament hooks since if offers IMHO too much resistance (Of course you could use your own filament spool holder but that's another issue).

So I pasted a new one together from four sources that will spool smoothly:
(1) I cut away the "base" of the official one
(2) Made a rod with a screw at the end (made with http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:193647)
(3) The rod is to be used with adapters that will spin around the rod (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28590).
(4) Made a nut for securing the filament wheel (also with Nut_job)

The rod has a diameter of 1.7 cm and adapter cylinders should have a 1.8 hole diameter or a bit less (depending on print quality). This way the wheel will turn smoothly.

In addition, I needed a cone for bridging the rod to the base and a cube to make the base square for upright printing.

The result is ugly but functional, the reel now turns really nicely. Printing this design was difficult, initially. Printed flat it was deformed and printed upright it would be ripped off the printbed after a few hours. This is why I made the second version flat at the bottom. I probably should reprint it with some support since the overhang at the bottom doesn't print very well. As you can see in the picture, the whole construction hangs a bit (not enough to make this a problem, but it's ugly).

Maybe someone has a better idea to make this a bit more professional.

Nut_job parameters I changed (I think)

thread_step = 5;
thread_length = 20;
non_thread_length = 130;
nut_diameter = 30;
nut_height = 15;
nut_thread_outer_diameter = 18;
nut_thread_step = 5;

- cheers ! Daniel

PS: The rod is fairly long since I do have older rolls (probably even bought from Felix when I got the Felix 2.0) that are VERY wide. The Kawasaki green spool you can see in the picture was bought with the Felix 1.0. It's quality (winding, evenness, etc.) was really bad, but the Pro 1 can mostly deal with it even if the filament was in the open for a few years :)
Attachments
rod-17.stl
Rod with screw. Not needed, unless you want to "glue" it to something else or in a better way.
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
holder-roll-17x38x120.stl
One of the three (or more) adapters you should print
(127.89 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
nut-18mm.stl
Nut (required if you want to feel safe)
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 41 times
felixpro-holder-v2-upright.stl
The new spooling hook
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 42 times

venkel

Post by venkel »

Why would you need free floating spools? The friction prevents coils getting unwound accidentally. And the torque from the extruder on the spool is plenty.

danielkschneider

Post by danielkschneider »

venkel wrote:Why would you need free floating spools? The friction prevents coils getting unwound accidentally. And the torque from the extruder on the spool is plenty.
Hi, you got a good point here. The main reason probably is souvenirs from the dark ages where extruders did not have enough grip. I suffered badly with a Rapman and a Fabbster. But also when printing with the Felix 1.0 and 2.0 I found a few uncompleted prints (with little infill) in the morning and I never could explain these.

In this case, what triggered me to do this were results with TPE (Ninja Flex and similar) and t-glase. When printed with less than 2.5mm layers and/or a higher speeds, there were many "holes" in the print. I then made the assumptions that easing resistance could help a bit augmenting the pressure in the hotend. Now I can test this hypothesis, but maybe I am wrong :)

In addition, I got PLA that is irregular and that the Felix 1 and 2 could not handle. Same argument here (less resistance from the reel = more pressure in the hotend).

venkel

Post by venkel »

Haha okay, as long as there is a better reason than just cosmetics.