Alignment issues

Help eachother out with assembly problems.
daveinhull

Alignment issues

Post by daveinhull »

Hi,

I've now got the printer mechanics virtually built but have noticed a few issues or possible problems.

The first is that the y-axis motor hits the bottom of the x-axis motor when at its highest position and the nozzle and plate are about 5mm apart (picture 1). I'm sure I've read something about this but can find it a thread anywhere now.

The other issue or maybe a problem is that when the x-axis is parked (closing the optosensor) the nozzle is about 2 mm of the plate. I'm guessing this is OK because I think this will only be needed to calibrate the x-axis but could someone confirm that it isn't a problem.

Many thanks in advance,
Dave
Alignment.jpg

Geertjan

Post by Geertjan »

I encounterd the same problem while upgrading my printer. See this topic http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... ?f=8&t=160

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

Hi Geertjan,

Thanks for the reply and the thread link. I think I'll go with the Dremel idea and cut of the excess y-axis spindle. I think I may also add another nut to the plate supports as well. I'm guessing everything can be sorted out during calibration.

- Dave

Lioric

Post by Lioric »

Are you seriously going to dremel the spindle? why not put washers on the motor fixing screws to offset it a little lower (and relocate the belt drive a little upwards to compensate)

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

Hi Lioric,

Well yes actually - what's it there for anyway and with plenty of plastic covering and a good Dremel metal blade it'll come off no problem at all. I'd need to put 5 washers on each of the motor fixings to stop it hitting the y-axis motor and then the screws would be too short, that or lower the heated plate with more washers on to the y-axis bolts and then they would be too short......

Actually, I reckon as an alternative I could just file a little bit of the y-axis metal work in one corner, it probably only needs .5mm and there's plenty to spare....

Dave