First print :-)

Discussions about firmware/slicing software, tweaks and settings
daveinhull

First print :-)

Post by daveinhull »

Hi,

So, after a week of on-and-off building finally got it all complete and ran my first test print. Only had 2 small problems with the build - plugged in 2 of the optosensors around the wrong way but other than that everything appears to be working OK.

I loaded the test piece into Repetier and used the Skeinforge slicer. After a few seconds the sliced immage appeared and then dissapeared. When I cam to run the job, the printer didn't seem to be printing the test peice and no filement came out - not sure what I've done worng.

I then use the Slic3r slicer and it produced a sliced image. I managed to print the part, see pictures below, but something is wrong.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Dave
Attachments
First Print.jpg

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

Hi,

Ok, so I moved over to Printrun_Felix_2012_05_23 and tried again....perfect print (see picture) :D

I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong with Repetier. The only thing I noticed is that when I install Repetier_host_Felix_2012_05_24 there are only 2 profiles ABS and PLA. So I copied the Printrun profiles into the profiles directory for Repetier and tried tusing one and again after slicing the slided image disappears. However, the printer seems to moving correctly other than for the z-axis which doesn't 'home' before the print.

The extruder motor doesn't do anything but then the extruder and bed don't heat up, but I'm assuming they are linked. Do you have to manually heat the extruder and bed?

Any help much appreciated

Dave
Attachments
Second Print.jpg

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the forum. I recommend to make it work first with sfact. That the image disappears after slicing, most likely means that the settings are incorrect or that you don't have write permissions in your "c:\program files\repetierhost" directory. Please post a screenshot of your sfact settings.
Kind regards,
Guillaume

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

I notice on your last print that there is a lot of z-wobble present in your print. You can reduce it by tips posted here:
http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... f=7&t=2#p2

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for replying, having had one successful print (albeit with the z-axis wobble which I can see when moving the z-axis - will need to investigate further), things are looking good with the printer.

I must say that it is a little tricky setting the software up using old manuals with the latest software but I'm getting there. I realised I had not setup Slic3r with the correct parameters and now that I have it has started to print as with Printrun (although I only got one successful print out of Printrun, then it wouldn't work - I must have been using default parameters). Note however, that while printing, what looked like was going to be a successful print, Repetier crashed with a user breakpoint.....

Ok, so I've attached pictures of various settings from SFACT. The first one shows the settings page (and I do think I have full write access to my C drive).
CropperCapture[3].jpg
The second one show that I do not get to chose the profile from the main screen but have to go into the configuration to do that.
CropperCapture[5].jpg
The third one shows the what happens when I slice using the SFACT, I get an error but I can manually go to the working direcotry and select the gcode. Note that the file it mentions ends in a '.' rather than a file extension.
CropperCapture[4].jpg
The final one is a warning from the log which says that there is no flowrate so nothing will happen - the extruder motor doesn't operate when trying to print.
CropperCapture[2].jpg
Any help would be great, many thanks
Dave

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

It seems your setting are not according to the manual. Also it is reccomended to have the working directory set to the repetierhost installation directory.

I think the last error message is there because with your current settings there is no valid profile present.

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

Hi Guillaume

Thanks for the reply.

I used the profiles that came with the download and moved them into the Reptierhost directory as required.

The warning that there was no flow rate made me have look through the profile and I found on the speed page that the add flow rate wasn't checked, see picture, so I checked it and the warning message stopped.
Speed Setting.JPG
The printer then started to print using the SFACT Normal Profile but it was not a good print - the extruder motor seemed to be turning very fast.
Bad part.jpg
I then went back to the Slic3r slicer and tested that again with what I think are the correct parameters - there are far fewer parameters than in SFACT so it is easier to understand what you are doing, see picture, looks like a very good initial print.
Whistle.jpg
Any ideas what I've done wrong with the SFACT profiles?

Aztek1701

Post by Aztek1701 »

Thanks for posting this dave... your experience with the slicer "misbehaving" turned out to be the problem with mine.. Im pleased to say mine has done a print now was well :)

Thanks also to Gulliume for his support during thhe build...
finished.jpg
Onward and Upward (I hope :) )

Take care... Kenny

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Hi Daveinhull,
I see that you downloaded the latest version of SFACT from the SFACT website. The profiles are not fully compatible, so I've learned today because I was still using the old version. Best thing to get usable profiles is to use the SFACT version from felixprinters. I'll update the sfact version with it's profiles as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Guillaume.

daveinhull

Post by daveinhull »

Hi Guillaume,

Not sure I did get them from the SFACT website. I just downloaded the ones from you first post on this thread.

Get the installation file here:
http://www.felixprinters.com/downloads/ ... _30_08.zip

Which ones should I be using? These?

Repetier_host_Felix_2012_05_24.zip
Repetier_host_Felix_2012_05_24.zip

Its a bit confusing having both versions under the same post, people will tend to go for the latest version 2012_30_08, although they are different date formats.

Dave