My new printer, upgrade ideas, and fillaments

This is for general discussions. Also FAQ can be found here.

Moderator: speedake95

twicx

My new printer, upgrade ideas, and fillaments

Post by twicx »

Hello folks,

So I just got a wonderful email this morning to let me know that my printer is en route! I cannot wait! There's tonnes of stuff I'm dying to print. However, while I'm waiting a couple of days for it to arrive, I had a couple of little questions that maybe someone could help me with.

1) Does it come with a little bit of fillament to do a test print?
2) For starting off, is there any recommendation on fillament? I was planning on getting 1kg of ABS and 1kg of PLA, both 1.75mm so I could see which of them I prefer to work with, for the things I need to print?
3) I remember reading on a post on these forums that dust and such on the fillament can clog up the nozzle, so a suggestion to clean it with a sponge before use was thrown up somewhere. I was thinking of modeling a little filter upgrade in sketchup when I get it. Basically, a little box for a sponge, that would also function as a guide for the fillament, so as it passes through, it would wipe off any dust, but the sponge could easily be taken out and replaced/cleaned. Any ideas/thoughts? Would this be a good practical upgrade?
4) Is there anything else I need to get while it's en route (apart from a longer USB cable so it'll reach my computer)

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

1) Yes. 5m PLA
2) I would buy several colours of PLA and maybe a small test batch of ABS (but do read up on the ABS experiments in the forums before you decide to order)
3) Yes. Do clean the filament. Here is a super duper advanced solution ;)
4) Have you read the manual and checked that you have all the tools recommended?

twicx

Post by twicx »

Kjetilei wrote:1) Yes. 5m PLA
2) I would buy several colours of PLA and maybe a small test batch of ABS (but do read up on the ABS experiments in the forums before you decide to order)
3) Yes. Do clean the filament. Here is a super duper advanced solution ;)
4) Have you read the manual and checked that you have all the tools recommended?
1) Awesome, that's plenty to keep me going while I start.
2) I'll mostly be making architecture models for uni, so I think White is my best option, or possibly a bit of black for some detail stuff. Its just that white is what we normally make models out of.
3) That's basically what I'll start with, but maybe make a little neat solution. I also like the LED bar mod, so I'll probably make that too. Tempting to make a webcam mount too, so I can do timelapse videos :p
4) Yeah, I just got the last bits today. I left my files at home, so I bought a really nice set of stanley files, ranging in sizes and grades. They'll be excellent for post-production too.