Common problems/Tips and tricks

Moderator: speedake95

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Re: Common problems/Tips and tricks

Post by gfeliksdal »

Strange that it happens after a few minutes... have you checked the filament diameter? Is it within the 1.6...2mm tolerance? I had once a spool which varied from 1.5 to 2.2mm every 1 or 2 meters. If it is 1.5mm the melted filament might creep up the barrel and at 2mm it will get stuck somewhere

If you extrude 10cm filament at 200mm/s does the motor then also stall?

The resistor can be a 4.7 or 6.8 ohm resistor. The diameter diameter should be 5.5mm and the lent approx 1 cm. Don't have any type number. But it also should be a vitreous wound with ceramic. Since last month the hot-ends have a heater cartridge. I can send one your way. But will take approx 1 week to arrive.

mcole254

Post by mcole254 »

This roll of filament actually seems to have very good tolerances, at 1.8 average diameter and varying from 1.7 to 1.9.

The motor usually does stall when I try to manually extrude. I am beginning to think that there may be some contaminates inside the nozzle, I'll have to wait until I get another heating resistor before I can clean it. Thanks for the help as always.

Edit: so either of these resistors should work?
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/1587897
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/1587898

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Yes, those resistors should do the job. I would recommend the 4.7Ohm as it allows more power to go to the hot-end.

Just a note: The max manual continuous extrusion speed is approx 300mm/s, above that the power of the heating element is not powerful enough to keep up. Burst extrusions of 10mm with an extrusion speed of 1000mm/s are possible, but you have to wait for it to heat up again for lets say 5 seconds. So, to test if the motor stalls due to hot-end contaminations should be done at 200mm/s

mcole254

Post by mcole254 »

All my manual extrusions are done at 200mm/s. I'll post my results after I replace the resistor and try to clean the nozzle again.

mcole254

Post by mcole254 »

Okay so I've replace the resistor, however I've been unsuccessful in cleaning the hot-end. As a last resort I'm soaking the tip in acetone, though I'm not holding much hope. Is there anyway to buy just the tip of the hot-end or do I need to purchase the whole thing?

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Yes I have some spare tips, so I can send one your way. I've just send you a PM

slave

Post by slave »

After a day of wonderful printing the hot-end is clogged. My hot end came assembled. Can you give me any tips in taking apart the hot-end?

Got the hot-end apart cleaning clog with hot-air gun.

Put everything back together and its clogged again?

Took everything apart again. Cleaned new clog.

Printing again changed to a different filament. success
Last edited by slave on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

Please read this post for hot-end disassembly instructions:
http://www.felixprinters.com/forum/view ... =7&t=2#p96

Before disassembling everything you can try to heat the hot-end to 210 degC and then try to extrude it. When the motor is extruding, help the filament down by pushing it down by hand.

mcole254

Post by mcole254 »

Ok so I've finally got my printer printing again and was able to successfully complete a print without issue. I did notice a section of the print that didn't come out smooth, I had this the previous time I printed this piece but to a much worse degree and I attributed it to the partially clogged nozzle That's not the case with this print, the nozzle is clean and extrudes very nicely. It only seems to appear in this section of the print. Any thoughts?

gfeliksdal
Site Admin

Post by gfeliksdal »

From experience this seems like the x-axis is vibrating slightly when moving in positive direction. This can be caused by too high tension on belt or that the friction in the guides is a little too high.

First thing I would do is to put a little teflon/ptfe spray on a q-tip and rub it along the rail, where slider makes contact with the rail. (do not spray it directly on the rail). Also other lubricants/greases are not recommended as they tend to deteriorate after time.

Awesome part by the way :)