Common problems/Tips and tricks

Moderator: speedake95

mcole254

Re: Common problems/Tips and tricks

Post by mcole254 »

Thanks for the tip, I think in my case I think its the y-axis, I'll try to adjust it and add some teflon dry lubricant to it.

suraki

Post by suraki »

I'm very new in 3D printing. A few days ago i built my Felix 1.0E and i made it my first 3D print.
First time, i use transparent green PLA filament and 180-185C look ok, but after i changed to non transparent white, i need to decrease the temperature to 175C (perhaps it's still too many).

These are latest results:
(normal SFACT profile, 150mm/min speed , 175Cdeg hot-end)

(full support profile, 200mm/min speed, 180Cdeg hot-end)
(remove the support material from this object was very hard, i recommend the external support profiles in SFACT)

These are more than fantastic ones, for me! :D
But any suggestions will be appreciated...

HLA

Post by HLA »

Hi Suraki,

Congratulations to setting up your Felix.

Looking at your prints, I notice that you have observable backlash (hot topic for me right now, so I notice this quickly). This is noticeable when you look at your 40x10 calibration print - the rounded side is not perfectly round, but is a bit edgy. This would also lead to less then optimal layer alignment which is observable e.g. on your half-sphere or pyramid. Try to follow the tips and tricks in another thread on backlash in Hardware>Mechanics.

It also looks that you have a slight z-wobble. Try to make the z-threaded rod perfectly concentric with the motor shaft.

The overhangs on the pyramid could be better. I wouldnt advise lowering the temp, but check if your ducted fan is on while printing.

You print at 200mm/min - thats very fast! 60mm/min is standard for good quality.

suraki

Post by suraki »

Hi HLA,
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm trying to follow your instructions.

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

Hello All Felix users!!

I'm having issues with blobs on the surfaces of my prints and quite a lot of stringing......any tips to reduce this?

Thanks

:D

Kjetilei

Post by Kjetilei »

stratogavster: what temperature do you use and what filament/from where? Does changing print profile make any difference?

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

Currently using a Guillaume pre-prepared gcode as found on the forums - Z-axis part...and also a pre-prepared file of the 'Owl' (very low layer thickness)

Starting temp around 210-220 for first 2 layers then dropped to 190 for the rest of the print

Not even tried messing with profiles because sadly I can't get Skeinforge to work....yet

On the Z-axis printed part I get blobs and stringing...but also the 4 holes which are for the stepper are totally junk! the rest are pretty good and smooth...but stringing between the hole gaps

The owl suffers from blobs and loads of stringing...apart from the other mechanical factors i've mentioned in other threads.

I have tried KISSlicer on my first ever custom part which gave pretty good results but on the perimeter there is a constant bulge / bead running vertically where the extruder starts each layer....no stringing...but lack of control with the slicer :(

Ran the same temperature strategy, though the slicer was preconfigured to only use the fan on perimeters

HLA

Post by HLA »

Printing with <0,1mm layer height is different physics: more advanced and not to be advised for a starter. Try slicing your STLs with standard profiles of Guillaume, i.e. 0,25mm - they work really well. Why doesn't your SFACT work?

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

SFACT doesn't appear in my Repetier Host (0.72 PC + 0.32 Mac) only Skeinforge.....have installed as close to the guidelines as possible but not perfect...i've not managed to replicate everything as required as something is just not right and can't put my finger on it....any tips on getting this working correctly?

HLA

Post by HLA »

What was exactly that you couldn't replicate in the guidelines?