Moderator: speedake95

stratogavster

Re: Common problems/Tips and tricks

Post by stratogavster »

Have attached what I have achieved so far.....so sign of SFACT for me :(
Settings.jpg

HLA

Post by HLA »

Well, I guess you may need to adjust this. Look at my configuration in the attached screenshot - it's different from yours.

The setting not fully seen on the picture is: Skeinforge Craft: C:\Program Files\Repetier-Host\skeinforge_sfact\skeinforge_application\skeinforge_plugins\craft.py
Attachments
sfact.jpg

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

Will check it out....one thing i've forgot to mention...when I load Repetier Host Win7 ditches the Aero transparency!! Very Annoying!!! as seen comparing my and your windows (I have to use services.msc to start it again...super crap!)

Will check the settings soon...have a KISSlicer print on the go! :)

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

Not checked things out yet in the setup as had a print on the go...but will do now as i've just suffered my 5th print wipeout!! and still have significant stringing!! even across a wide temp range....185 - 215

Well after about 4hrs in to a 9hr print (Sliced with KISSlicer) the printer stopped responding. Repetier Host is frozen and all LEDs on the RAMPS go out!! This has happened too many times! I can't even finish a print

Anybody seen this before? it's infuriating!! Either my software is broken or my very new PC is crap! (Almost new machine, not even connected to the internet, no back ground tasks (even though it's a i7 with 16GB ram and a Nvidia Quadro 2000M with 2GB ram)

So could this be Repetier Host being unstable or a driver issue? or my PC having wonky USB implementation?

Other wise I have a partially finished KISSlicer print to show off my quality issues in search of some tips :)! the stringing is clear to see, and all the bad holes :( :(

My aims are to stop this awful stringing!!! and get holes to finish nicely just like Guillaumes built parts he ships...when I can stop the RAMPS for appearing to shut down :(
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

HLA

Post by HLA »

Hi stratogavster,

Nice shots, great PLA-color! Is this grey? When you find the solution, post these to the collection of failed prints on flickr ( http://www.flickr.com/groups/3d-print-f ... gs/reprap/ ) with the solution.

I have no experience with KISSlicer. But I might have a suggestion for you, since I experienced similar behavior.

The interconnected lines across your holes result from the filament not binding well to the previous layer. So the hot-end drags the extruded string around until it sticks somewhere accidentally (across the hole in your case). Please observe this while printing: the extruded plastic MUST stick immediately to the layer below - which does not appear in your case. This usually happens when there is not enough plastic extruded, or something wrong with the z-axis, or if you print too fast to name a few reasons. In my case, which resulted in the similar picture as you show, was not enough filament being extruded.

Now to solve this, you could try the following procedure:
1) tighten the extruder arm (hold the screw with twizzers and turn the bolt which presses against the washer-spring array);
2) try to extrude some plastic from Repetier Host at speed=200 (do this only when the extruder is hot);
3) tighten more and repeat (2) until extruder starts skipping steps (clicking noise);
4) now loosen the extruder arm slightly and check if plastic is extruded w/o skipped steps;
5) print the part;

If you observe that extruder is skipping steps during the print, then you need to loosen the extruder arm a bit more. Important is that the extruder arm is tight enough, but not too tight!

G'luck ;)

HLA

Post by HLA »

I forgot to mention: this can also happen if the temp is too low. In this case, the extruder will have difficulties and will extrude less plastic than required or none at all. Try to print at 210 after doing the procedure I described above, and then lower it down to see if symptoms re-appear.

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

Thanks HLA! My PLA is actually black, just the lighting the photos that makes it appear grey.

I've actually tuned the steppers really well, especially the extruder, they all run really nicely and no missed steps even at some quite high mm/s.

As you can see the outward appearance is perfect! and actually using KISSlicer my dimensional accuracy has seen an improvement.

The extruder is running well and i've used 210 as the temp quite a bit in testing.

I'm trying hard to Repetier Host to show me SFACT so I can start using the profiles Guillaume has created....this will add some consistency to my printing attempts - Though my KISSlicer profile is also provided by Guillaume though it's not been tested much.

Will report back with more results

HLA

Post by HLA »

stratogavster wrote:I've actually tuned the steppers really well, especially the extruder, they all run really nicely and no missed steps even at some quite high mm/s.
Maybe, but you still have problems with holes, right? The point is that what you write above can be true, but you can still have too little grip on the filament. A simple test: try to hold the filament with your fingers before it enters extruder while extruding. If you manage to stop it and extruder stepper starts chewing the filament and doesnt skip steps = trouble ;)

And yes, the walls on your prints do look very nice. Seems you are on the right track ;) keep going!
Last edited by HLA on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratogavster

Post by stratogavster »

Actually done the 'grip test' too....the extruder has a really nice grip so far and delivers a nice clean bead of material even at quite high rates. So quite happy in this area...though the adjustment method could do with an upgrade :)

I've experimented with temperatures and found 200 - 210 works well and seems to give the most predictable results in my 'good' areas.

Side walls are pretty good....just get some 'banding' every 5 - 6 layers..which a bit of z shift..it seems to have a trend to one axis suggesting 1 axis doesn't return to the same position after a few layers.

Stringing still present though! :(

Actually all my prints are failing to start now....after the initial purge and homing the extruder fails to go tot he print area.....8 failed attempts encounting :(

twicx

Post by twicx »

erm... Feedrate, Flowrate and mm/min. What should they be set at? I set it as per the manual, but i have a sneaky suspicion that they might be set up wrong for the kind of prints i'm trying to do. This is what I have: